Whose applying to Grad School for Fall 2013

Hello All,

Just finalizing my choices for Grad School next year. We have all seen the top 20 Ceramic Programs listed in US News and World report (I will be applying to three of those!) but I was also looking for some "lesser known" but good programs out in the western half of the country. My work is both functional and sculptural. The past three years my work has been mostly wood-fired, but lately over the past year , i have been making some really interesting work combining my photography, digital art and ceramic decals to create more conceptual work. I am looking for a well balanced program, that can help me grow as an artist, has good access to the faculty, and possibly an anagama kiln or the opportunity to build my own. I have heard that "wood firing" isn't exactly in vogue right now and it's not necessarily a deal breaker. Some of the Schools I have been looking into are, San Jose State, Univ. of Montana in Missoula, Univ New Mexico, Oregon State in Eugene, CU Boulder and University of Washington in Seattle. Any and all feedback would be appreciated!!

Josh Deweese and Dean Johnson are at Montana State in Bozeman. They like wood and soda and functional and sculptural work. I know Beth Lo and Julie Galloway are in Missoula along with a young woman I met at the Bray Bash two years ago. North Texas at Denton also does a lot of wood and has a good reputation. John Neely at Logan State in Utah is a Wood firing King (same way that Linda Arbuckle is the Majolica Queen ..both meant as compliments.

Marcia Selsor ( Professor Emerita from Montana State in Billings)

now living in Brownsville, Tx.

I worked with Josh De Weese when he was chairman of the Archie Bray Foundation. Great guy, great pots.I don't know the others, but I am sure all are good. It just depends what you want to get out of your grad school experience.

Tom[TJR]

Hello All,

Just finalizing my choices for Grad School next year. We have all seen the top 20 Ceramic Programs listed in US News and World report (I will be applying to three of those!) but I was also looking for some "lesser known" but good programs out in the western half of the country. My work is both functional and sculptural. The past three years my work has been mostly wood-fired, but lately over the past year , i have been making some really interesting work combining my photography, digital art and ceramic decals to create more conceptual work. I am looking for a well balanced program, that can help me grow as an artist, has good access to the faculty, and possibly an anagama kiln or the opportunity to build my own. I have heard that "wood firing" isn't exactly in vogue right now and it's not necessarily a deal breaker. Some of the Schools I have been looking into are, San Jose State, Univ. of Montana in Missoula, Univ New Mexico, Oregon State in Eugene, CU Boulder and University of Washington in Seattle. Any and all feedback would be appreciated!!

Hi H Rod,

I'm currently grad school shopping but I'm applying for Fall 2014. I just graduated from San Jose State so if you got questions, I got answers. I'm looking at CU Boulder also. Looks really interesting and I would really like to work with Jeanne Quinn and Kim Dickey. I've met Kim Dickey before, she was the artist in residence at Cal State Long Beach when I was there, but I did not talked to her much ( I regret that). She seemed really intense. I just checked out University of Washington while I was at NCECA, and had a rather interesting conversation with the lab tech. But I don't really like a quarter system or butt loads or rain, so I think I'll pass. I also have some friends in grad school right now, one at RISD and the other at Heron, if these schools interest you at all, I could pass along their info. I'm interested in your 3 from the top 20. Which are they?

I've never done any wood firing but I would love to go to a school that has that. My problem is that my list of requirements is rather long and I know exactly what I want and don't want which helps but makes the list kinda short. I'm finding all of this grad school stuff extremely stressful. How bout you? I agree with you that access to faculty is vital, another thing I think is critical is their philosophy on teaching. I am amazed by how much it has varied in my experience. Ultimately, I'm looking for someone who believes in me, my potential, and wants to help me reach my maximum potential as an artist or at least that's the ideal. I guess I've always wanted a mentor, but they are hard to come by. I'm not sure if this is even something I can ask for, if it's even reasonable. (this should be an NCECA discussion: What to ask, expect, hope for as a student from your teachers and what they ask in return. Grad and undergrad, same or different) Sorry, off topic.

Have you gone to check out any of the places you plan on applying to?

Anyways, good luck and message me if you got Q's

Spring

I am applying this year as well, graduated from the University of Missouri - Columbia. I know it is not out west but if you want to know anything let me know. Bede Clarke is the professor & he definitely knows wood firing. I applied to Montana State, Utah State, & Central Washington University last year but it was a no go. Haven't finished figuring out all the schools I going to apply to yet. I soda & wood fire too.... like you said not necessarily a lot of that going on right now so I am having a trouble finding schools besides the one's listed that will fit me.

Tim

TJR- What i want out of Grad School.......If I could put it in one sentence I want a place and the time to develop my work, side by side with other artists and supportive faculty who take a real interest in me and my work. Time is what I really crave, I have taught HS art for a few years and even though I have some time, it's nothing like the marathon sessions I used to have as an undergrad!

Spring- PLease tell me all about San Jose State, How are the faculty?? Facilities?? Did you have any contact with the grad students?? How was the work?? I did my undergrad in Cali and am a little hesitant to go back considering they have slashed the funding at most schools and I am really in need of some financial assistance, TA position and stuff like that. I will be at NCECA this year if you are going to be around, I believe you can sign up for a portfolio review, too bad it happens after all the grad school deadlines for this year. Good Luck on your search, i am definitely feeling overwhelmed too!!

DeWeese- I am going to apply to 8 schools so hopefully I can get into 1 or am hopefully able to choose from 2 or 3

Here is my final list, as of right now San Jose State, Univ. of Oregon in Eugene, University of Washington, Central Washington Univ., University of Montana, Montana State Univ, CU Boulder, Univ New Mexico, and I will probably apply to Alfred University just to say that i did! Good Luck!

All are very good schools. Smaller schools compared to medium compare to large schools is something to take into account and most of all make a visit and find out how you may get along with the professors and the present grads. Talking to the present grads at any given school may be the best gauge of the school! Good look with your future.

Archived