Curvy hollow tubes

If you take a tube, wrap paper around it. Wrap the clay around it. Slide the tube out of the paper and clay wrap.

Done! I do this for large tubes 8" x 28" ht with a tarpaper outside wrap. For smaller pieces the tar paper isn't necessary. I do remover the tar paper after it sits overnight. You can still manipulate it while it is soft leather hard.

post-1954-135413057479_thumb.jpg

post-1954-135413057479_thumb.jpg

Another idea I've used is to fill a nylon stocking or children's balloon with sand to get it to a tube shape then fashion the clay around it.

When it sets up a bit just open the end and dump out the sand. This works very well for any soft flowing forms ... also for fat vases with tiny openings.

Sometimes you can just fill up the balloon with air, but if you are going to roll it and work on a form, use sand to avoid the chance of bursting the balloon.

OH! I like the idea of the nylon full of sand for a project I've been wanting to do! I tried a balloon, but had a heck of a time getting anything inside, and without something inside it is just too squishy and deforms, so my project self destructed.

Now I need to locate some old knee-highs or something... MMMmmmmmmm

when I changed cat boxes yesterday, I thought of this thread and thought kitty litter is lighter weight than sand and easily available. Also large enough not to leak out of pantyhose.

Marcia

Cat litter, good idea...easier to find than the other two things mentioned. We have sand every where here but it is soooo fine it would go thru the stockings. And i finally have a use for all those ruined panty hose, now i can make my mermaid!

One downside to the nylons is that sand dust can pass through and leave marks ... they are not terrible, just something to know if you want the inner surface to be smooth.

The sand dust does go through the stockings, this can be cut back if you use the stockings made for diabetics or people with leg circulation problems. The denser weave will cut back on the dust.

Archived