Crater/rough glaze

Avaviel

I'm rather fascinated with Japanese and Oriental ceramics. I've noticed a tendency for their pots that are used daily, such as teapots and tea cups without handles, to have a rough dark glaze. Edit: the inside of the cup/teapot would be food safe smooth glaze, and the outside rough.

I'm not wanting to go as far as Lucie Rie with her crater glaze, my goal is a porous soft surface that a cup can have a hot drink, without burining the person's hand.

I've read that silican carbide in tiny amounts (0.5% to 1%) can cause the bubbling. Are there any other materials that can be used to get similar results? Such as a matt surface the does not transfer heat — as if you were holding a rock. Are there any glaze recipes the are a useful starting point for my testing?

I'm looking for cone 10 glazes, but I'm sure I could modify cone 6 glazes. As for background, I'm an art student at a college, with access to glaze chemicles for making test glazes. (They let me in the glaze playground!)

4574001463_261x180.jpg

I love wood fire glazes! However, that isn't quite the style I want. I think I made a misnomer when I said Japanese tea cup, I'm referring to a few tea cups I own. I'll post a few links at the bottom of this post to similar things, and at some point I'll take a photo of the particular cup.

The style may be described as a metallic matte? A plan matte glaze is something I'd avoid (the reasoning being that I'd rather color the clay or use a slip for a plain matte.) I'll be using porcelain exclusively for the time being (I'm in love with the stuff!)

I just found out that I'm in love with ceramics, so forgive me if I go all over with my thoughts! I want to learn as much as I can about the chemicals so I can make the glazes do what I need/want them too.

The one on the right:

http://www.freeforms...ia/DSC_0118.jpg

http://img0.etsystat...939884_6fu7.jpg

Lastly, all of this has a simple goal: To be able to make a tea cup that does not need a handle, and isn't piping hot to the touch when just-boiled water is placed in the cup. I can tell this will be a life long adventure.

I like your energy.

Historically studying the early days of tea you will find that it was not served 'piping' hot. Even today given the steps to a perfect brew, the tea will never be so. There will be many interesting things you will uncover in your research from downright fascinating to utterly disgusting. But I leave this for you to find on your own.

There is a book that I think you would enjoy, it is called 'Chinese Glazes; Their Origins, Chemistry, and Recreation' by Nigel Wood; A & C Black, London; University of Pennsylvania Press, PA.

Also you may like to read a good book on tea and porcelain- ‘Liquid Jade: The Story of Tea from East to West’ by Beatrice Hohenegger.

Both can be found at a good library or very reasonably priced at Amazon.com

Archived