3134 frit in clay slip?

docweathers

So far I'm trying a simpleminded approach to slip... the slip from the clay body I am using. as I read about this, it sounds as if in this approach there is some potential for cracking if the pot has gotten very dry before application of the slip. would adding 5% 3134 frit to the clay slip be helpful?

I use a little calcined kaolin to add to slips for dried clay. Like about 5 %. It seems to work.

The chemical water has been removed from the material so it will shrink less...that is my way of thinking.

A frit could possibly be considered calcined because of the way a frit is made. So by that reasoning, it could also work.

You could make your own calcined kaolin by firing some kaolin in a bisqued bowl to 1000 or 1200 degrees or so.

Marcia

A flux makes it melt-so the slip may act a bit like a glaze-or a glaze over it may melt more (run off pot)-I agree on a calcined epk as it will not shrink as Marcia says.Just bisque fire some next bisque.

usually slips at least in high fire have no flux in them-you have a flux in a glaze to make it melt at specific temps.

hope this helps-

doc,

have you tried to remoisten the pot before you attatch the slip? it really is not as complicated as you might think. if you use the slurry you get from throwing and allow it to settle out and thicken you will be able to add it to your pot even if the pot is a little dry. get a spray bottle from your local dollar store and use it to dampen the pot if it is not too dry. if it is really dry, you have nothing to lose by dunking it QUICKLY in a bucket of water and immediately putting it into a plastic grocery bag and setting it UPSIDE-DOWN for a day or so. even if you lose the first one from clumsy handling you did not have what you wanted anyway. upside down is important, you do not want water to lay around in the bottom of the pot and cause an S crack.

most people are afraid of getting a pot too wet by dunking it but if you will take a broken piece of greenware and experiment with it you will be surprised at how little of the dry clay gets wet. cut it open and you can see that only the outer surface is dark. you can also rewet things with a sponge and water as well and you can trim even bone dry pots using a wet sponge and cutting off a layer at a time.

this is obviously only for special pots, not something you can make again in a few minutes on the wheel. i have been applying cheetahs chasing hares on a pot thrown as a sample during the tampa, fl NCECA and plan to finish it this winter. that's pretty dry.

doc,

have you tried to remoisten the pot before you attatch the slip? it really is not as complicated as you might think. if you use the slurry you get from throwing and allow it to settle out and thicken you will be able to add it to your pot even if the pot is a little dry. get a spray bottle from your local dollar store and use it to dampen the pot if it is not too dry. if it is really dry, you have nothing to lose by dunking it QUICKLY in a bucket of water and immediately putting it into a plastic grocery bag and setting it UPSIDE-DOWN for a day or so. even if you lose the first one from clumsy handling you did not have what you wanted anyway. upside down is important, you do not want water to lay around in the bottom of the pot and cause an S crack.

most people are afraid of getting a pot too wet by dunking it but if you will take a broken piece of greenware and experiment with it you will be surprised at how little of the dry clay gets wet. cut it open and you can see that only the outer surface is dark. you can also rewet things with a sponge and water as well and you can trim even bone dry pots using a wet sponge and cutting off a layer at a time.

this is obviously only for special pots, not something you can make again in a few minutes on the wheel. i have been applying cheetahs chasing hares on a pot thrown as a sample during the tampa, fl NCECA and plan to finish it this winter. that's pretty dry.

Fluxing slips have a place since they will lay down on horizontal surfaces (pie plates) and move a bit on vertical surfaces. I've been wondering about putting some 3134 in some slip to get this effect but I've been concerned about shrinkage as Marcia mentioned. I've also been thinking about trying some whiting or Gerstely borate. I just need to do a test. I've only recently started working with slips and it seems to me that the possibilities are endless.

Leoj

doc, i am so excited! my teen age neighbor is here to show me how to post pictures and he found one of the very same pot i mentioned so i am sending it just to practice pictures.

Yahoo now you can post photos-That pots looks great.

Mark

Archived