#1 Natania

Natania

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

I recently mixed up a batch of cone 6 glaze (called "Bone" from "Mastering Cone 6 Glazes" and fired some ware with it on at school. When I did the same thing at home I got the lovely amber color the glaze is supposed to be. When I fired the new batch at school, it turned out clear (a nice glossy clear, but no color at all) on my whiteware. I thought perhaps I forgot to add the rutile to the new batch. I know my electric kiln at home fires hotter, and even a touch reduction-y perhaps, than the one at school. Would this explain the lack of color, or did I simply forget to add the rutile when I mixed up the batch at school? Hmmm....

#2 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

Are they the same color in the bucket? The glaze in the bucket should be a dirty grey-mustard color if you put the rutile in. If it's firing clear you either forgot the rutile or didn't put enough in.
Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#3 Natania

Natania

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

Are they the same color in the bucket? The glaze in the bucket should be a dirty grey-mustard color if you put the rutile in. If it's firing clear you either forgot the rutile or didn't put enough in.

It was a dirty grey. I thought I put in the 6% that the recipe called for. I decided to go for it and just added another 6%, so we'll see what I get....

Thanks!

#4 atanzey

atanzey

-

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationSouth-Central Pennsylvania

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:38 PM

I use this glaze, too, and get anywhere from 'bone' colored, to almost clear to sunny yellow, depending on clay body and reduction/oxydation atmosphere. So far, I can't completely predict, although all of the variations are nice.

Alice

#5 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:37 AM

Many rutile glazes are highly variable -thats the beauty of them-never know till you unload.
Mark
Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users