Switching between 2 K type pyrometer probes with one meter.

I have a pyrometer that accommodates 1 type k probe. I would like to add a second probe by having a switch to go from one to the other.

Is it sufficient to have a single pole double throw switch to change the connection for one of the probe leads (while the other one remains continuously connected) or do I need to use a double pole double throw switch to change the connection for both leads simultaneously.

I asked the vendor and I got basically a "darned if I know"

Thanks Larry

Guest JBaymore

If accuracy matters to you, it also needs to be a switch made for actual thermocouple switching. So for Type K use, the metals in the switch need to be Chromel / Alumel compatible. (and get the right wire to the right metal ;)src="http://ceramicartsdaily.org/community/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif"> on the switch) Copper components don't "cut it".

Otherwise you create secondary thermocouples (two joined dis-similar metals) at the junctions between the thermocouple extension wire (which ALSO needs to be the correct stuff) and the switch. As the temperature in the area of the SWITCH changes,.... you create another set of electromotive forces...... and this impacts the reading that you will get on the meter.

Gold and silver contacts on the good qulaity types of switches minimize this issue.....but make them pricey.

http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=OSW_SW14&Nav=temg16

Another potential solution is to use a simple patch panel. Not quite as elegant, but also works

http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=DRTB&Nav=temg16

best,

................john

It would be easy to just pick up a used fluke on e bay that has two meter leads-they run about 50-65$

Get the older box style I have three and they work great.

Mark

That's a good idea. I'm not familiar with fluke pyrometer's. What model numbers are the old style box that you recommend?

Model

Fluke 52-it takes two probes-from two source points.

I also use the fluke 51-takes single probe

You will need two yellow plugs that take the wire and plug into this meter. You can also get them from fluke

These meters are cheap used on E-Bay-

They are an older model but are well made and function well.

Mark

Doc W

when you are ready to get new burners heres a place I have been dealing direct with for 30 plus years on small cheaper venturi burners.

Gas appliance Co

phone# 951 940- 5252

They sell small MR 75,000 and MR 100,000 btu burners

They are on several kilns I operate.

Mark

Doc W

when you are ready to get new burners heres a place I have been dealing direct with for 30 plus years on small cheaper venturi burners.

Gas appliance Co

phone# 951 940- 5252

Mark

It's my understanding that I would have to do a major overhaul of the manifold to accommodate these burners. Is that true?

Doc W

Gas appliance Co

phone# 951 940- 5252

Mark

It's my understanding that I would have to do a major overhaul of the manifold to accommodate these burners. Is that true?

That may be true-I do not know what it looks like exactly-the small burners are about 7 1/2 -8 inches long-

New manifold is not that much to re-plumb if it fixes the kiln.

I run 8 of the small ones on a 35 cubic foot car kiln so 4 would be plenty -if not overkill.

Mark

Archived