Is the potter's council worthwhile?

Hi all,

I am wondering if the Council is worthwhile for a newer potter? I have my own brick and mortar shop, and put some of my smaller stuff for sale in there, but I don't plan on entering any shows or doing any sales anytime soon. Are there educational opportunities offered? That is my focus right now - to learn as much as possible about everything!

Thanks,

Nancy

Short answer is YES!:D

I am a Charter Member, served on the Board for four years with two as President and one as Past President so I am somewhat biased to say the least.

Discounts on magazines, books and DVDs.

Discounts on FedEx shipping.

Great group rate for credit card fees.

Access to Group Health Insurance.

Access to Mentoring Programs.

Reduced rate for attending great educational conferences held at least four times per year.

Being part of a group voice in the world of pottery.

Taking a chance and maybe volunteering yourself to one of the committees.

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/potters-council/learn-more-about-potters-council/

Some day you will want to sell, will want to try be on a calendar, will use the free ad to send buyers to your shop, will want your portfolio online .......

You should go to the Potters Council Membership page and read the benefits.

http://ceramicartsda...otters-council/

Besides discounts for regional conferences, there are under the unbrella of the American Ceramics Society which hosts this forum, Ceramics Art Daily newletters and videos, there are benefits for everything from freight discounts, hearing aid discounts, discounts on books and magazines, health insurance, online members gallery, annual members competition,a mentors program, etc. There is a long list.

I, too, and biased as a Charter member and past President.

Marcia Selsor

How about business and liability insurance for potters selling functional ware?

:)

Are you asking if that is a benefit or are you suggesting it becomes one?

At present, I don't think it is a benefit. Jon brought up that question to this forum not long ago to see what interest there was there. He asks because the Board of the Potters Council continues to look for new ways to bring more benefits to the membership. It continually evolves to the needs of the members. For example, the Health Insurance was a long time coming.

Hi all,

I am wondering if the Council is worthwhile for a newer potter? I have my own brick and mortar shop, and put some of my smaller stuff for sale in there, but I don't plan on entering any shows or doing any sales anytime soon. Are there educational opportunities offered? That is my focus right now - to learn as much as possible about everything!

Thanks,

Nancy

Nancy,

Yes, the discount on books & cd’s is worth belonging...but wait there is more…Chris listed benefits some of which I have not tapped into yet, but will…The Potters Council is an amazing group of artist and the forums have been educational just reading everyone’s comments on every imaginable topic. Right now I have great health insurance so haven’t looked into that benefit…

Short answer is YES!:D

I am a Charter Member, served on the Board for four years with two as President and one as Past President so I am somewhat biased to say the least.

Discounts on magazines, books and DVDs.

Discounts on FedEx shipping.

Great group rate for credit card fees.

Access to Group Health Insurance.

Access to Mentoring Programs.

Reduced rate for attending great educational conferences held at least four times per year.

Being part of a group voice in the world of pottery.

Taking a chance and maybe volunteering yourself to one of the committees.

http://ceramicartsda...otters-council/

Some day you will want to sell, will want to try be on a calendar, will use the free ad to send buyers to your shop, will want your portfolio online .......

All these are great bennies and I have used a few such as the CM discount as a subscriber since the early 70s as well as Mentoring. The bigger picture at least for me is being part of a larger clay community. This cannot be overstated as I have met many from far and wide who share the same passions in clay. This larger clay community is really what I feel the Potters council fosters best and you can be a part of for a small fee-its a two way street to use if and when you want to walk down it.

My 2 cents

mark

Guest JBaymore

HI all. I was away teaching all day yestrerday...... so just seeing this thread now.

I think that others have already summed it up pretty darn well already... and of course I too am a bit biased as the current 2nd term President of the association and also having been a Charter member.

One thing to remember is that the Potters Council is just that........ the POTTERS council. It is about you, the membership.

What the Council is able to do FOR the membership is BECAUSE of the membership....... whether that is approaching the governance of the organization because people volunteer their time to work on the Board of Directors, or in the work of implementing initiatives when people volunteer to work on a committee project, or when people offer their services and expertise as mentors to other members, or by sharing ideas for new benefits or program on the Potters Council forum section, or simply by members paying the dues that help fund the things we are able to accomplish.

Without our members over the years... Potters Council would not exist.

Our membership numbers give us the ability to offer things like discounts and benefit programs. The more members we have, the broader the possibilities are for providing such offerings.

I also should point out that the Potters Council is not just about "getting", it is also about "giving back". But in giving back, most people find that they are "getting back" anyway. So it is really a "win/win". All of us involved in the Potters Council LOVE the field of ceramics. While we all may have individual aspects that we are involved in.... we all love clay. There are opportuinities to become involved in that large PC community and help move the ceramics field forward in many ways.... from many perspectives.

The more members we have, the more "clout" we have in the industry. And the more people we have to share ideas with. And the larger the pool of people with broad ranges of experience levels and resources to draw upon to help us.... the memberhip...... to move forward.

Potters Council membership is worth it on many different levels. Some people will find one aspect the "deal maker". Others could care less about that aspect, but find another aspect to be if immense value. Some find multiple aspects valuable.

Glad you decided to join, Nancy Lee. THANK YOU for your support.

best,

................john

John Baymore President; Potters Council of the American Ceramic Society

Archived