Am I hearing things?

Nelly

Dear All,

This weekend, I have another load of glaze ware in my kiln.

It is in the process of cooling. I fired to cone 6 this weekend.

I have a large piece in the kiln with reticulating/snake or lizard skin glaze on a large portion of it.

Does reticulating glaze make a snapping or crackling sound during the cooling process??

Has anyone else had this experience??

Nelly

Guest JBaymore

Nancy,

Don't "borrow trouble". The load will be what it is........ worrying will not change it.

I have to say that loud "snapping" sounds do not sound like crazing happening. Usually strazing is a bit musical .....usually described as "pinging". A gentle "tinkle, tinkle" rather than big "snaps".

It might have been cooling dunting.... that makes more of a single "snap" sound.

You'll have to wait and see.

best,

................john

Nancy,

Don't "borrow trouble". The load will be what it is........ worrying will not change it.

I have to say that loud "snapping" sounds do not sound like crazing happening. Usually strazing is a bit musical .....usually described as "pinging". A gentle "tinkle, tinkle" rather than big "snaps".

It might have been cooling dunting.... that makes more of a single "snap" sound.

best,

................john

Dear John,

Good point. The load will be what it is...??

As I said, it may be the plates at the bottom angry at me for refiring them again. This their third time through.

But it is good to hear that there are audible sounds in this process.

I have heard the pings when stuff is taken out of the kiln before its time (i.e., removed from the kiln when it is hot). But I haven't heard this sound before. So it likely something is or has happened in there.

Will wait and see. 500 degrees and counting down.

Should know before midnight.

Nelly

Nancy,

best,

................john

Psst, John...how'd you know my name was Nancy??

Nelly

Nancy,

best,

................john

Dear John,

Good point. The load will be what it is...??

As I said, it may be the plates at the bottom angry at me for refiring them again. This their third time through.

But it is good to hear that there are audible sounds in this process.

I have heard the pings when stuff is taken out of the kiln before its time (i.e., removed from the kiln when it is hot). But I haven't heard this sound before. So it likely something is or has happened in there.

Will wait and see. 500 degrees and counting down.

Should know before midnight.

Nelly

Dear All,

The kiln is now unloaded. The bottom plates managed to make it through without breaking at this point. I now know that even though they are safely out of the kiln, they can still crack...but for now all were okay except one.

One heaved in the middle.

The large heavy sculptural pieces turned out okay as well. Maybe this is where the snapping sound was coming from (i.e., these cooling down inside the kiln).

The reticulating glaze did not work. My guess is that I did not achieve the 1/16 of an inch application required according to Robin Hopper.

I now believe that the cracking or pinging sounds I was hearing was the tall vessels I was firing simply cooling inside the kiln as the temperature declined. I have just never heard this type of sound before.

Yes, I have heard pinging but it was outside the kiln--not inside. So, maybe it is that I am just getting adjusted to the sounds my kiln makes.

Know I did not rush the cooling until the end. At 350 I started gentle propping the lid and opening the peep holes.

So, all and all, except for that one plate heaving in the middle, I was okay.

Just like you said John, it will be what it is....and I shouldn't panic.

I am happy though because I have some pieces to put in the local show next week. Stuff I can be proud of.

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN!!!!!

Nelly

Archived