Duncan Kiln 1029 -strange material lid and floor

Hello,

I just bought a Duncan 1029-2. The bricks seem to be in good shape other than the lid and the floor. They seem to be made of some other material than the usual brick used in kilns and I have never seen anything like it. It seems to be disintegrating and looks similar to a fiber blanket material. Does anyone know what it is? Does anyone know if replacing the lid and the floor with regular kiln brick will work?

Thank you for your help!

Heather

A photo would really help in this.

Without one my guess and its a wild one at best is ceramic fiber board-never heard of this in a electric kiln but maybe someone thought it would work. This board is like fiber but a tad harder and feels more like cardboard. Are there seems??

Mark

A photo would really help in this.

Without one my guess and its a wild one at best is ceramic fiber board-never heard of this in a electric kiln but maybe someone thought it would work. This board is like fiber but a tad harder and feels more like cardboard. Are there seems??

Mark

Here are some photos. It does not appear to have a seem. I am assuming I should replace the lid and bottom with normal kiln bricks.

Thanks for replying so quickly to both who responded :)

post-17713-13526743449_thumb.jpg

post-17713-135267435415_thumb.jpg

post-17713-135267436685_thumb.jpg

post-17713-135267437459_thumb.jpg

post-17713-13526743449_thumb.jpg

post-17713-135267435415_thumb.jpg

post-17713-135267436685_thumb.jpg

post-17713-135267437459_thumb.jpg

That is ceramic fiber-do not breath the fibers-looks like your lid had a layer glued to it and the floor looks cracked and they put down a layer of fiber-you will need to remove fiber and replace bricks-the lid looks like it has a huge fallout problem onto stuff.You can also just but a new lid and floor as well.

Mark

That is ceramic fiber-do not breath the fibers-looks like your lid had a layer glued to it and the floor looks cracked and they put down a layer of fiber-you will need to remove fiber and replace bricks-the lid looks like it has a huge fallout problem onto stuff.You can also just but a new lid and floor as well.

Mark

Ok thank you so much for your help!

Archived