Colors to wet slip

Bora

I made a large amount of slip mixing materials per recipe including water. I would like to divide the slip making different color slips.

How to add the necessary percent of oxides or Mason Stains to a wet slip? I think the percentages per the recipe calls for dry slip mixture.

Thank you if you can help me.

You know how much clay you used to start with so when you divide the slip up evenly the amount of clay will be the same.

I think if you add the proper percentage of colorant for the amount of clay it should turn out fine regardless of the amount of water which fluctuates over time anyhow. This is what I think but my logic might be wrong??

I made a large amount of slip mixing materials per recipe including water. I would like to divide the slip making different color slips.

How to add the necessary percent of oxides or Mason Stains to a wet slip? I think the percentages per the recipe calls for dry slip mixture.

Thank you if you can help me.

I had a similar problem as I had slip made up from throwing water and my trimmings, so I didn't know the original dy weight of the clay. Found a basic recipe online which was 56g (2 ozs) oxide for 1000 ml liquid slip. I've mixed up some test batches, using cobalt carbonate, copper carbonate and manganese dioxide, but haven't fired the tiles yet. Will post again once fired and glazed. For future recipes, I'm going to keep a tub of dry trimmings so that % ages are easy to calculate.

Good luck!

Celia UK

You know how much clay you used to start with so when you divide the slip up evenly the amount of clay will be the same.

I think if you add the proper percentage of colorant for the amount of clay it should turn out fine regardless of the amount of water which fluctuates over time anyhow. This is what I think but my logic might be wrong??

Thank you very much. Your logic is right, but I wanted to make different amount of colored slips and the mathematical approach is the following:

I made 500 g dry "slip" and adding water I ended up with 860 ml wet slip.

Dividing 500/860=0.58g dry material in every 1 ml wet slip.

In 300g wet slip I have 300x0.58=174g dry material . To add 10%mason stain for black slip I need (174/100)x10=17.4g stain

1. Find how much dry material you have in 1ml wet slip -by dividing dry on wet.(500/860)=0.58

2. Multiply the wet amount you want (300)with the dry in 1 ml to have the dry amount into it(300x0.58)=174g dry

3. Calculate the percentage of stain necessary for the dry(174) material used for the wet slip.

This way you can make different amounts of stained slip.

Archived