Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
burningforkstudio

Black mold on ware boards

Recommended Posts

I am a handbuilder, and I dry my pieces very slowly. I use pieces of drywall for my ware boards, and cover the pieces on them with plastic, and usually place them on shelves that also have plastic draped over them. I find that especially lately, a fine, dusty black mold forms on the boards under the wet pieces. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what do you do to prevent it and/or clean it up? I am not sure how hazardous this type of mold is (is it the actual, scary black mold??), but I am pretty sure I don't want to be breathing in mold all the time if I can avoid it! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! ~lahla

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marcia Selsor    1,301

I am a handbuilder, and I dry my pieces very slowly. I use pieces of drywall for my ware boards, and cover the pieces on them with plastic, and usually place them on shelves that also have plastic draped over them. I find that especially lately, a fine, dusty black mold forms on the boards under the wet pieces. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what do you do to prevent it and/or clean it up? I am not sure how hazardous this type of mold is (is it the actual, scary black mold??), but I am pretty sure I don't want to be breathing in mold all the time if I can avoid it! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! ~lahla

 

I use a diluted bleach solution and spray my plaster molds and anything else with black mold.

It works. You can wash , or sponge off the mold if you want to avoid spraying the diluted bleach. Wear rubber gloves and eye protection.

 

Marcia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put a sheet of plastic over the ware board for slab pieces or anything I want to dry very slowly, otherwise my ware boards do grow mold. I uncover them for awhile when I am in the studio, moving pieces to dry boards when needed.if the piece needs to be on a dry surface, I put a sheet of newsprint over the plastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnnyK    86

If you're using standard drywall, you will never rid yourself of the mold problem. The paper face on the drywall supports the growth of mold.

 

What you might do is use a mold resistant variety used for wet areas like showers and bathroom construction. It is available at Lowe's and Home Depot. I believe the stuff at Lowe's is a light lavender color.

 

The defining term here is "resistant". Anytime you use an organic surface, you will have mold develop in a damp environment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
garyb    0

I am a handbuilder, and I dry my pieces very slowly. I use pieces of drywall for my ware boards, and cover the pieces on them with plastic, and usually place them on shelves that also have plastic draped over them. I find that especially lately, a fine, dusty black mold forms on the boards under the wet pieces. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what do you do to prevent it and/or clean it up? I am not sure how hazardous this type of mold is (is it the actual, scary black mold??), but I am pretty sure I don't want to be breathing in mold all the time if I can avoid it! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! ~lahla

 

I use a diluted bleach solution and spray my plaster molds and anything else with black mold.

It works. You can wash , or sponge off the mold if you want to avoid spraying the diluted bleach. Wear rubber gloves and eye protection.

 

Marcia

 

 

As a mold professional I can tell you that bleach does not kill mold. You need to purchase a bio-cide. You should be concerned about breathing in mold. More info can be found at www.greenwayairsolutions.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
weeble    5

I use the bleach spray to knock the black down, but replace the pieces when they get too noxious. I lay them out separately to dry, in the sun whenever possible, but eventually the paper starts to break down too much. The hardware store here usually has a stack of broken drywall sheets that they sell really cheap, so for a few dollars, you could just get some new drywall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marcia Selsor    1,301

I am a handbuilder, and I dry my pieces very slowly. I use pieces of drywall for my ware boards, and cover the pieces on them with plastic, and usually place them on shelves that also have plastic draped over them. I find that especially lately, a fine, dusty black mold forms on the boards under the wet pieces. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what do you do to prevent it and/or clean it up? I am not sure how hazardous this type of mold is (is it the actual, scary black mold??), but I am pretty sure I don't want to be breathing in mold all the time if I can avoid it! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! ~lahla

 

I use a diluted bleach solution and spray my plaster molds and anything else with black mold.

It works. You can wash , or sponge off the mold if you want to avoid spraying the diluted bleach. Wear rubber gloves and eye protection.

 

Marcia

 

 

As a mold professional I can tell you that bleach does not kill mold. You need to purchase a bio-cide. You should be concerned about breathing in mold. More info can be found at www.greenwayairsolutions.com

 

thanks. hat is very informative. living in the tropics is mold heaven

Marcia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bobthecat    0

I am a handbuilder, and I dry my pieces very slowly. I use pieces of drywall for my ware boards, and cover the pieces on them with plastic, and usually place them on shelves that also have plastic draped over them. I find that especially lately, a fine, dusty black mold forms on the boards under the wet pieces. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what do you do to prevent it and/or clean it up? I am not sure how hazardous this type of mold is (is it the actual, scary black mold??), but I am pretty sure I don't want to be breathing in mold all the time if I can avoid it! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! ~lahla

 

 

I have not tried this on ware boards, but to clean remove mold from my windows I use vinegar. It is non-toxic and does a great job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×