• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 burningforkstudio

burningforkstudio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:51 PM

I am a handbuilder, and I dry my pieces very slowly. I use pieces of drywall for my ware boards, and cover the pieces on them with plastic, and usually place them on shelves that also have plastic draped over them. I find that especially lately, a fine, dusty black mold forms on the boards under the wet pieces. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what do you do to prevent it and/or clean it up? I am not sure how hazardous this type of mold is (is it the actual, scary black mold??), but I am pretty sure I don't want to be breathing in mold all the time if I can avoid it! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! ~lahla

#2 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

I am a handbuilder, and I dry my pieces very slowly. I use pieces of drywall for my ware boards, and cover the pieces on them with plastic, and usually place them on shelves that also have plastic draped over them. I find that especially lately, a fine, dusty black mold forms on the boards under the wet pieces. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what do you do to prevent it and/or clean it up? I am not sure how hazardous this type of mold is (is it the actual, scary black mold??), but I am pretty sure I don't want to be breathing in mold all the time if I can avoid it! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! ~lahla

I use a diluted bleach solution and spray my plaster molds and anything else with black mold.
It works. You can wash , or sponge off the mold if you want to avoid spraying the diluted bleach. Wear rubber gloves and eye protection.

Marcia

#3 Diane Puckett

Diane Puckett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:41 AM

I put a sheet of plastic over the ware board for slab pieces or anything I want to dry very slowly, otherwise my ware boards do grow mold. I uncover them for awhile when I am in the studio, moving pieces to dry boards when needed.if the piece needs to be on a dry surface, I put a sheet of newsprint over the plastic.
Diane Puckett
Dry Ridge Pottery

#4 JohnnyK

JohnnyK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCitrus Heights, CA

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

If you're using standard drywall, you will never rid yourself of the mold problem. The paper face on the drywall supports the growth of mold.

What you might do is use a mold resistant variety used for wet areas like showers and bathroom construction. It is available at Lowe's and Home Depot. I believe the stuff at Lowe's is a light lavender color.

The defining term here is "resistant". Anytime you use an organic surface, you will have mold develop in a damp environment.

#5 garyb

garyb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

I use a diluted bleach solution and spray my plaster molds and anything else with black mold.
It works. You can wash , or sponge off the mold if you want to avoid spraying the diluted bleach. Wear rubber gloves and eye protection.

Marcia

As a mold professional I can tell you that bleach does not kill mold. You need to purchase a bio-cide. You should be concerned about breathing in mold. More info can be found at www.greenwayairsolutions.com

#6 weeble

weeble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationOregon Coast

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

I use the bleach spray to knock the black down, but replace the pieces when they get too noxious. I lay them out separately to dry, in the sun whenever possible, but eventually the paper starts to break down too much. The hardware store here usually has a stack of broken drywall sheets that they sell really cheap, so for a few dollars, you could just get some new drywall.
Maryjane Carlson

Whistling Fish Pottery

#7 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:26 AM

Marcia

As a mold professional I can tell you that bleach does not kill mold. You need to purchase a bio-cide. You should be concerned about breathing in mold. More info can be found at www.greenwayairsolutions.com

thanks. hat is very informative. living in the tropics is mold heaven
Marcia

#8 bobthecat

bobthecat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

I have not tried this on ware boards, but to clean remove mold from my windows I use vinegar. It is non-toxic and does a great job.

#9 burningforkstudio

burningforkstudio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users