#21 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:58 PM

Your kiln has graded elements. The top and bottom elements run hotter to account for heat loss out the floor and lid. Glaze problems at the bottom could be from the bottom running hotter or colder. More likely colder. The thermocouple is only reading temp in the middle, so if the bottom is packed too tight, it can run cold. Put in cones bottom, middle and top to verify evenness.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#22 Roberta12

Roberta12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:42 PM

I just recently had a pinhole problem with a glaze that has been very stable.   But....I had two boxes of Bee Mix that had gravel in it.   I am thinking that there are some organic things that are unable to burn out all the way.  I do bisque to 04 and it is a glaze I mixed myself.   and have used successfully.  I only find the gravel chunks when I am trimming.  It's rather frustrating but I have been able to smooth over the holes left by the removal of the gravel, sooooo  I am wondering if my little pinhole is a result of the rough stuff in the clay rather than my glaze?

Roberta

#23 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:14 PM

It's possible for something organic to burn out and leave a pit in the glaze. But if it's something that's not organic, like a chunk of rock/mineral, I would expect it to melt out the surface or leave a raised area, not a void.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users