Plaster traces on slip casted pieces

Cadaola

I made plaster molds and casting slip (porcelain), I checked specific gravity and viscosity of the slip and that was ok. Then I made the slip casting process and some pieces came out very well, but others carried some traces of the plaster on them. Does someone know why?

Is that because the mold is not dry enough?

Or should I put some "protection" on the mold surface that will receive the slip? I noticed that the molds that gave good results were spreaded with some release agent such oil or wax (becuse the object I molded needed it). I attach some picture to clarify. If I remove the plaster from the pieces, can I fire them? Or the contamination is "impossible" or very difficult to clean up?

Thanks a lot! Paola

post-4274-135245732897_thumb.jpg

post-4274-13524573909_thumb.jpg

post-4274-135245732897_thumb.jpg

post-4274-13524573909_thumb.jpg

As noted above the plaster can be brushed off later when piece is dry.

A reason this may be happing is the mold was made with a bad (poor or old) plaster mixture.

Do not seal or mold soap the molds as this will not help dry the slip and in fact will work against you.

If you plan on making a lot of these pieces from the mold make that mold over again doing all the right steps with plaster mixing.

Use fresh plaster and read up on how to mix it.

Mark

I have been working in slip cast ceramics for over 40 years. I have found that as the mold ages, it will wear. The condition which you are describing could be caused by casting too soon. Reguardless of what you have been casting or pouring, it is known that porceline can be cast more than non-porceline casting in a regular period of time. The pieces of mold could be caused by fatigue by the plaster. Remember, you made the mold. The general rule of thumb is when the cast item is dry, the mold can be cast again.

I am a certified ceramic instructor and have been so for many years.

As for putting something on the surface of the mold to protect it, do not. The slip will not set up in that area and you will ruin the mold. I am manufacturing some molds of my own and I am keeping it simple. I make the forms from hard wood and then produce the mold with good plaster. If there is a problem with my mold, I make another one and destroy the bad one.

Good luck in your actions and career

Archived