• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 2,935 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

Constant drinking of tea when throwing or handbuilding (never in the glaze lab portion of the studio though). I have a temperature controlled Japanese Zojirushi unit in the house kitchen (studio is in attached barn) so I don't keep a heating unit to brew tea in the studio. It is easy to walk into the house and fill up the kyusu with constantly hot water to brew some fresh green or grab a (horrors!) teabag and a mug.

best,

................john
John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#22 Neely

Neely

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

I keep a coffee pot in the studio, and keep a pot of coffee available at all times. Also, I have a tv in the studio, with a DVD player, and I either watch/listen to the news or watch/listen to a DVD. I know I could probably get a lot more done with no TV, but it is company for me.

Have to have my coffee in the studio. Lately I find I leave the heat on longer than I should, too cold here at night to not keep a small heater on. Clean ups-very lax on this, usually clean up after a session, but often just before a new start-bad idea. Yes I have canvas on my concrete wedging table, and have other things besides ceramics stored in the studio.

#23 Neely

Neely

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

I used to have a TV in the studio and I had to have all my throwing for the day done before Days of our Lives was over...
Then I became sensitive to too many commercials, the TV died, I read the signs and got rid of it. I'm not as productive as I used to be, but I'm also older.....

#24 koreyej

koreyej

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationBouton, Iowa

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

I need to mop. Badly.

Korey Averill
ka Studios Pottery

www.kastudios.com

#25 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,014 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

I need to mop. Badly.

I still have a TV in the studio. I usually have it on, but find it is more background noise. When wedging, I will often watch a bit, as I will when cleaning. Most of the time when throwing I am too concentrated on what I am doing. It gets lonely out there all day.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#26 trina

trina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

coffee and beer daily, not at the same time though

and i play my bass in the studio,though i dont feel the slightest guilt about that, maybe we should have an online jugband studio collaboration!

yah to the jugband!

#27 Edith Marie

Edith Marie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationHelena Montana

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

Summer Guilty Pleasure is sun tea made in a solar jar, on ice in a hard plastic cup w/lid & straw helps lower the guilt factor. Other guilty pleasure beverages: wine/margarita’s in a glass not plastic. My studio does not have a TV, just speakers in the wall for listening to music while I work…. I clean with water no sweeping (tarps on top of ugly carpet), cleaning is done when mess gets to me (twice a month).

Edie

#28 Cass

Cass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

and i play my bass in the studio,though i dont feel the slightest guilt about that, maybe we should have an online jugband studio collaboration!

yah to the jugband!

what do you play trina?

#29 trina

trina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

yah to the jugband!

what do you play trina?

I guess I would have to say Earl Scruggs Blue grass stuff..... I have a nice 5 string, but I really want to be an Avett Brother when I grow up! T

#30 Conniefi

Conniefi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

Hi Everyone,

I have my studio in my bedroom(no I do not sleep there) with carpets covered over with tarp. I put a dampened towel at the door of my studio

I never wedge but beat my clay with a mallet and paddle. It works for me.

Sometime I do not clean the bottoms of my bowls. They sort of scoop out. These are my bowls I do not give away or sell.

Also, I must wet again bowls that are too dry and trim on wheel. Or I trim them dry, wearing a mask.

Here is the best one I did recently. My small Duncan kiln kept breaking the cones inside. So I shove one under the kiln sitter controls on the outside and just timed my firing.

Now, can I genuflect and take my absolution?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users