22 replies to this topic

#21 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

I usually write my name, using a rubber tipped tool, on the bottom. Occasionally, I miss a piece and it goes out unsigned. Not to worry though, I do not see myself being in the "collectable" ranks of potters.

Hamada did not sign his work -- he signed the box the vessel was packed in. So, authenticating a Hamada piece involves having the box that goes with it, not just the vessel.

#22 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

My day job pays for my clay habit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg area, PA

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

For those of you who use stamps or hankos or that sort of thing... how have you typically constructed them? Wood block?

I carve what I want the imprint to be in a piece of hardened plaster using carving tools (dusting out excess), and then squish a wad of clay into it. When it's hardened a bit, I clean it up well and bisque fire the stamp. The trick is to make the plaster imprint very clear and very deep, and to clean the edges well so that you don't get an outline around the stamp (unless that's what you're going for).

#23 koreyej

koreyej

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationBouton, Iowa

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:42 AM

I sign my work the same way I sign everything else, with my first initial and last name. I also have a chop I started using recently. I don't know if it would matter how legible it is, though, if someone who is not into ceramics came across a mug of mine someday when I'm long gone and famous (ha!). Even if my name is readable, that doesn't mean that someone will recognize it.

Korey Averill
ka Studios Pottery

www.kastudios.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users