re-firing a fired glazed pot to color the foot.

I know the question sounds silly, but here I go: I made a big hand-built bowl that I now see has the wrong kind of footring...it angles out and so the stark cream color of the clay is very noticeable against the dark textured glaze. The foot color jumps out and detracts from the beauty of the bowl!

What would happen if I used a dark underglaze or stain on the foot and re-fired it? If I refire it just to bisque temp (cone 04), what will that do to the glaze, which was fired to cone 6? I sure don't want to ruin the beautiful glaze on the piece!

And, if I refire it in a bisque load in my electric kiln will that hurt any of the other pieces in there?

I have learned a lesson about footring shapes and angles!

The bowl is so big that I don't want to fire it with a glaze load. I always have more space in a bisque firing.

I'll try to attach a photo... Hmmm.. Doesn't show up. How do you attach photos?

You'll have a hard time getting anything to stick to the already high fired clay, but commercial brushing formula glazes or underglazes may work. If you only fire to bisque temp, your original glaze may change color. Depends on the glaze. I'd test it first on something small. It won't hurt anything else in the kiln.

If the bowl is just decorative and for your own use, and you don't want to risk damage to the glaze, you can always use acrylic hobby paint to color the foot. The colors are easy to mix. Dry brushing gives a matte finish. I used acrylic paint to hide repairs to a piece of pottery one of my children made when she was young. After I got the colors right, I painted on clear nail polish to make the repairs glossy like the glaze. The repairs are nearly invisible.

Archived