renting kiln space

I hope I am posting this in the right place, I think I am. Anyway...

Someone has asked me to fire her stuff. I have an electric kiln, she just wants it bisced, cone 06, most of her stuff is fairly small, masks about 4x8. How do I figure how much to charge? Is this done by cubic inch?, and if so how much?

This person is my dogs groomer. My other option is to simply barter it out. This is really the way I am leaning. I swapped her a bag of clay for a bath and toenail clip yesterday. She usually charges $25.00 for this service, so that worked out well for me as well as for her since there in no place within the reasonable vicinity to purchase clay.

Thanks,

Sandra

I charge $100 to fire my 20 cubic foot kiln full of sculptures for one of my customers. $50 for my smaller kiln. For pots I charge $1 per pound. Much easier than figuring out cubic inches. For oddly shaped things that eat up kiln space, I up the price according to how many pots I could otherwise fit in that space.

I charge $100 to fire my 20 cubic foot kiln full of sculptures for one of my customers. $50 for my smaller kiln. For pots I charge $1 per pound. Much easier than figuring out cubic inches. For oddly shaped things that eat up kiln space, I up the price according to how many pots I could otherwise fit in that space.

I appreciate it. I had no idea.

Sandra

The cost of firing a bisque load in my 7 cu ft electric kiln is about $9. Unless the items require a long preheat or some other firing schedule different than what you normally do, bartering sounds like a good option. If firing becomes a frequent thing, then work out a charge -- per pound is easier than cubic inches.

The cost of firing a bisque load in my 7 cu ft electric kiln is about $9. Unless the items require a long preheat or some other firing schedule different than what you normally do, bartering sounds like a good option. If firing becomes a frequent thing, then work out a charge -- per pound is easier than cubic inches.

Thanks!

This is exactly what I was thinking. Considering this is a friend/associate and as long as this does not become a burden, I think this will work.

Again, thank you for your thoughts.

Sandra

Archived