slip casting

Wil

I have been working in both clay and slip casting for quite a few years and have considered mixing my own slip for casting but have not found any cone 04 slip recipes on the internet. With the rediculous pricing of the slips I have seen over the past few months, I have considered looking toward the workers in the field, you folks. Are there any cone 04 slips that can be made in one's own studio? Please help me, I would greatly appreciate it. Even better if it would fire out white as the other slips do.

I must preface this by saying I have yet to do this. But I do keep it in mind.

From a March 15, 2010 CAD post, Paul Wandless explains how to turn your moist clay body into a casting slip. He stated it will work for any clay body type.

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/ceramic-supplies/ceramic-molds/in-the-mix-from-clay-body-to-casting-slip/

White Earthenware, cone 06

Ball Clay 40

EPK 5

Talc 55

I pulled this out of my books, but I haven't tested it. Mix up a little batch and fire it off before making a ton. Reduce the talc and increase the ball clay to increase firing temperature. Test, test, test....

I will copy this and try it. The ingredience is simple enough. And as you say, a small amount first as a test batch, then experiment with a larger batch.

Thanks a lot.

Wil

I must preface this by saying I have yet to do this. But I do keep it in mind.

From a March 15, 2010 CAD post, Paul Wandless explains how to turn your moist clay body into a casting slip. He stated it will work for any clay body type.

http://ceramicartsda...o-casting-slip/

Now with what you are telling me, I can do this with any body of clay that I use, reguardless of cone. It will work for that respective temperature. This will be good. I will also have to try this one. It will be an answere to a prayer if it does work. For some strange reason, I had wondered about this and it seems as though... Just give it a try. Thank you.

Archived