Clean Edges On Slab Work

For example, the exposed edges of a slab built box. The edges alway look a little ratty to me. I've tried compressing them slightly with a sponge and a chamios but they never have that smooth finish that a wheel thrown piece has. Thanks.

One trick for smooth edges is to put dry cleaner plastic over the cut pieces ...

smooth the edges by running your fingers over them through the plastic.

Doesn't stick that way and the plastic really helps compress those edges.

You can also cut the pieces out through the plastic by pressing down rather

than slicing through ... Make sense?

For example, the exposed edges of a slab built box. The edges alway look a little ratty to me. I've tried compressing them slightly with a sponge and a chamios but they never have that smooth finish that a wheel thrown piece has. Thanks.

I use a chamfer tool -- sold by Bill Van Gilder -- to clean exposed edges of slabs. The tool, which he adapted from those used by woodworkers, allows me to put a nice bevelled finish on edges at the leatherhard stage. I also use Buncombe White; the clay has kyanite in it and if you use a wet sponge you run the risk of exposing the grit in the clay because the sponge washes away the finer clay particles. A soft rib can give you a smooth look and help compress the edge or seam.

Both suggestions make sense! I'll try both. Dry cleaners plastic first since I have plenty! I have noticed the exposure of grit when using a sponge on the Buncombe White. From the two responses, I think I've also been getting a bit ahead of myself in trying to smooth the edges. I've been trying to achieve this while the clay is very damp. Perhaps if I wait...

I'm fairly new to slab work. Any suggestions for cleaner edges would be appreciated. I'm working with Buncombe White and Highwater P-5 porcelain, both ^5-6.

When your piece is leather hard use a "sureform" rasp to shave the edges straight, curved or whatever. Then smooth with damp sponge. I use the small curved sureform.

Archived