flo purple?

bobbiedee

You need to sort out your Magnesium from your Manganese.

The recipe says Magnesium and your text says Manganese. :blink:

The base recipe calls for magnesium, which I have and have used...the colorant additions calls for manganese, which I am out of, ..............and that is why I asked what subs I might make to get to purple.

Thanks.

i have always used manganese diox to get me into purples and to my knowledge there isn't any substitute material for it. a mason stain will definitely get you a purple, but it's not the same as i'm sure you already know. with some glazes, copper can get you into purples, but is influenced by the flux in the glaze and reduction may be necessary as well. personally, i'd just go buy some manganese.

i have always used manganese diox to get me into purples and to my knowledge there isn't any substitute material for it. a mason stain will definitely get you a purple, but it's not the same as i'm sure you already know. with some glazes, copper can get you into purples, but is influenced by the flux in the glaze and reduction may be necessary as well. personally, i'd just go buy some manganese.

I HAVE A PURPLE GLAZE THAT USES COPPER CARBONATE AND AND tin at Cone 10 in reduction. The simplest solution for you is to stick to what you know and buy more manganese dioxide.

TJR. Sorry, caps lock was on.

The metallic oxides that we use for colorants do not generally have substitutes other than stains, which don't always work the same. Get some more manganese. Any other solution will take more testing than it's worth.

Thank you all so very much!...okay, okay, I'll buy the manganese!...seriously I truly appreciate the help.rolleyes.gif

Archived