Saggar Firing In A Galvinized Trash Can?

I was thinking of experimentally saggar firing in my electric kiln at ^016. I was considering doing this in a 10 gallon galvinized trash can. The kiln has a electric ventilator that'll be on as it fires. Opinions on these thoughts appreciated.

• 1 month later...

This is my fav way to put that can to good use. Fill the can with paper, straw, etc and put it aside. Roll out an eighth inch slab and start sticking stuff to it, like salt water soaked leaves, crushed pine cones, rock salt, cobalt carb, copper, steel wool, u get the gist. After that treasure hunt I take my prepared piece of pottery (usually with tera sig, and so on) and wrap the littered slab completely around it. Throw it in the kiln and ramp that baby up to 1300ish 1400ish. Pull it out red hot and toss it shell and all into that trash can u love so much and let it burst into flames for a few seconds before placing the lid on tight. Let it reduce with the lid on for at least 30 minutes. When your ready to be amazed, pluck it from the can, pull away what's left of the eighth inch shell and admire its beauty. Thow a coat of wax on it if u like. Its kinda an electric saggar salt raku kinda thing and you'll love it. Remember to always play with fire responsibly and good luck.

I've managed to do some pretty serious damage to trash cans with just lighting a fire inside, I suspect putting one in a kiln would be a one-time-only mistake. As in, that would be the one last time you use the kiln....

In other words, find a different saggar....

• 2 weeks later...

A potter friend of mine said he'd get those metal tin cans you get popcorn during Xmas. He said he filled it with sawdust, greenware, salt, steel wool, whatever, more sawdust, the lid then a kiln shelf on top to hold in all the smoke and trash. He'd put it in his electric kiln and fire around 1100, then let it cool to room temp. He said the cans warped, but the smoke didn't get out and ruin the elements.

*Please note: I think my friend may be a crazy crack-head. Not sure I'd try this in my kiln. Still sounds cool.

Here is the website of Russel Fouts who has published several articles on saggar firing in electric kilns

http://users.skynet.be/russel.fouts/

He uses heavy aluminum foil. He is using the same kiln elements for 20 years and only does low fire and low-low fire in his kiln. If you go to NCECA he usually brings examples of his latest experiments. Two years ago, I believe it was charcoal bricquets used as an enhancer to some of the combustibles within the saggar. Look up his articles for a huge array of materials, resists and other techniques. His work was in the NCECA (Inter)national show in Louisville in 2007.

Very interesting work.

Marcia

Archived