Moroccan Sand glaze ?

Chantay

I am now making enough stuff that I need to go the less expensive route of buying dry glazes. So, AFTER, I buy and mix up a couple of colors to try of Laguna's Moroccan Sand glaze, I go to Laguna's web site and check for any specifics on applying this glaze. Oh, yeah, it's designed to be brushed on. The store I bought it from didn't provide that detail. I did make some little test pots. My question: have you used this glaze? How did you apply it? What were the results? Many thanks to all the kind and helpful people here. I am taking a college ceramics class and have learned nothing. I have learned most of everything I know from this website, the rest from the couple of books I have read. Oh, no I am not interested in mixing my own glazes from ingredients. Just making the glazes from pre-mixed ingredients about did me in. Maybe some day, years from now.

-chantay

Hi,

I have never used the Maroccan Sand, however; I have used several of Laquna's matte glazes and I really like the result. I use a very white porcelain clay body. With to brush-on coats some of the whiteness of the porcelain comes through. I like that effect. I fire at ^6 oxidation. Not a lot of information but it may help you.

acg

The MS series are nice glazes. For brushing you typically want to apply 2-3 flowing coats, each in the opposite direction of the previous coat. Bear in mind that most of the MS series have different base formulas. They are not all color variations of the same glaze, like you often get with low fire gloss glazes. There are a few the series that are the same, but by and large they are all different. For this reason, each one will require testing to see how they behave.

If you search long enough on the Laguna site you'll find some mixing guidance.... as I recall they spec the desirable density as something like 46 for clear glazes, 55 for dipping, 60 for spraying, and 65 for brushing. FWIW, in our facility we mix MS29 clear to 47 and most everything else to 55.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used the Moroccan glazes for years when I was teaching ceramics at the high school level. We always applied it by dipping. That worked well with the exception of some students getting it too thick which caused dripping on the shelf.

I am now making enough stuff that I need to go the less expensive route of buying dry glazes. So, AFTER, I buy and mix up a couple of colors to try of Laguna's Moroccan Sand glaze, I go to Laguna's web site and check for any specifics on applying this glaze. Oh, yeah, it's designed to be brushed on. The store I bought it from didn't provide that detail. I did make some little test pots. My question: have you used this glaze? How did you apply it? What were the results? Many thanks to all the kind and helpful people here. I am taking a college ceramics class and have learned nothing. I have learned most of everything I know from this website, the rest from the couple of books I have read. Oh, no I am not interested in mixing my own glazes from ingredients. Just making the glazes from pre-mixed ingredients about did me in. Maybe some day, years from now.

-chantay

• 5 years later...

I found the wet premixed worked ok but the dry ran like hell, I spent a lot of time on the phone with the glaze tech at Laguna and had to add a bunch of chemical to stop the running. Oh and just for fun one of the colors dented. if I'm going to have to by chemicals and run line tests might a s well make my own in the first place.

I have very good luck with Amaco glass lately. They stay put, unless you get into mix layers with some of the Shino's with potters choice.

I hate kiln wash and I spent a lot of time scraping shovels when I tried to use Morracan sand glazed .

Best

Archived