Tall, narrow forms

Guest JBaymore
Recently, I was fantasizing about buying one of those little cheap portable wheels and attaching it to something over my head and pulling upside down. If that's been done you probably know about it and will let me know.

Yup.... it has. Back in the early 70's or so I THINK that CM had an article about it. Can't tremember more than that I saw printed info on someone doing it. But it might have been much later than that.... as I get older.... stuff that I think was a LONG time ago. ...... is stiil "more recent" date-wise than I would like to admit... and is STILL "a long time ago".

As I remember, it was a full sized electric wheel that got hung upside down. And also if I am remembering correctly, it was on some sort of track that allowed it to be started with the wheel in the normal position and then "swung" upside down.

best,

..............john

Recently, I was fantasizing about buying one of those little cheap portable wheels and attaching it to something over my head and pulling upside down. If that's been done you probably know about it and will let me know.

Yup.... it has. Back in the early 70's or so I THINK that CM had an article about it. Can't tremember more than that I saw printed info on someone doing it. But it might have been much later than that.... as I get older.... stuff that I think was a LONG time ago. ...... is stiil "more recent" date-wise than I would like to admit... and is STILL "a long time ago".

As I remember, it was a full sized electric wheel that got hung upside down. And also if I am remembering correctly, it was on some sort of track that allowed it to be started with the wheel in the normal position and then "swung" upside down.

best,

..............john

I saw this- I also recall that the technique was highly sensitive to any flay in the clay (bubbles, irregularities). Gravity's pull would rip the developing cylinder...

best,

..............john

It's funny that after getting back into pottery after my 35-year sabbatical that every time I see something that I think is new or cutting edge or a new idea it seems to be old hat. Recently, I was telling a potter about some German glazes I bought that have chunks of other glazes in them so that you might have a black glaze with all these other colors running out of it only to be told that that was pretty popular ten years ago and that several American companies used to make glazes like that and some still do.... Thanks for the info, John.

Jim

Archived