Best Table for the Studio?

Susan, I agree try goodwill or salvation army for a table. I have used plastic table cloths for 20 plus years they usually last for a couple of months and are cheep enough to replace. Depending on the table you can get clips that attach the top to the table just by slipping them on for "Coleman camping supplies found in wall mart, sporting goods suppliers. gander mt. , cabalas, ect.... If that does not fit the bill some scrap pieces of 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 inch plywood in probably 1 in. widths, tuck the table cloth in between and screw to the bottom watch the length of the screw so that it does not come through the top face, eg. 3/4 in. top with a 1/4 in scrap = 1 in. use a 3/4 in. screw. Good luck

jbcpottery

• 5 years later...
On 10/17/2012 at 8:33 AM, skopchains said:

Wow, I didn't realize canvas isn't a good idea for a work surface b/c of dust!

Thanks!

Susanna

The large studio that I work in has canvas covered tables, that get a solid washdown every night.   Everyone is taught to use wet sponges to clean.  The routine is to use a sponge for the spots with lots of stuff, then all tables get half a 5 gallon bucket thrown on them, which then gets squeegeed off on to the floor.   The floor then gets mopped each night.   If you leave the studio at night and then walk back in, your glasses will fog up because of the moisture.   Each class is expected to wipe things down, so every 3 hours or so, the studio gets a wipe down.....but that's with about 100 students going through on any given day. 

My wedging table has a nice plywood cover over plaster that works pretty well, although I may have to recover it for the first time.  The cover then lifts off for a plaster table.   

Archived