What is this?

Wow!! First answer, that is real good! Yes, it is a roast beef platter; the center was formed to collect the juices. Not British though.

The origin was startling to me. It is American, made by The Union Porcelain Works in Greenpoint, New York operating from 1862 to 1922. There are collections currently at the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Brooklyn Museum in New York.

Good Job, TJR!

GO TJ! GO TJ! GO TJ!

Wow!! First answer, that is real good! Yes, it is a roast beef platter; the center was formed to collect the juices. Not British though.

The origin was startling to me. It is American, made by The Union Porcelain Works in Greenpoint, New York operating from 1862 to 1922. There are collections currently at the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Brooklyn Museum in New York.

Good Job, TJR!

GO TJ! GO TJ! GO TJ!

Thank-you. I think I have seen these before in peoples homes. Remember, when you send me my prize, that I live in a different country. [just kidding]

Tom Roberts,aka TJR

I had it down as some sort of meat dish when I saw it; the white lugs intrigue me though.

Are they to hold a carving knife against and thus prevent the meat from falling off whilst the dish is tipped to drain the juices - or what?

I had it down as some sort of meat dish when I saw it; the white lugs intrigue me though.

Are they to hold a carving knife against and thus prevent the meat from falling off whilst the dish is tipped to drain the juices - or what?

I have been considering this as well and I wondered if the original cover for the platter was silver or silver plate and the lugs were used to hold the cover in place when it was folded backward to exposed the cooked roast for carving and serving. Not really sure but this is what I have deduced from reading the vessel.

Archived