#1 Lucille Oka

Lucille Oka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:26 PM

What do you suppose this is and what is it used for? Obvious, maybe. If you tell the country of origin you will get extra credit, (not really).
Do not use screen shots.

Attached File  plate #1.jpg   17.91KB   117 downloads

John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life".

#2 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:02 PM

It's a platter for roast beef. The depression is for collecting juices. I am going to say Great Britain?
TJR

#3 Lucille Oka

Lucille Oka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:56 PM

Wow!! First answer, that is real good! Yes, it is a roast beef platter; the center was formed to collect the juices. Not British though.

The origin was startling to me. It is American, made by The Union Porcelain Works in Greenpoint, New York operating from 1862 to 1922. There are collections currently at the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Brooklyn Museum in New York.
Good Job, TJR!

GO TJ! GO TJ! GO TJ!

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life".

#4 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

Roast platter for carving...Sevres porcelain?
Marcia

#5 Cass

Cass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:26 PM

lip disc - Onuato Tribe - west africa

#6 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

Wow!! First answer, that is real good! Yes, it is a roast beef platter; the center was formed to collect the juices. Not British though.

The origin was startling to me. It is American, made by The Union Porcelain Works in Greenpoint, New York operating from 1862 to 1922. There are collections currently at the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Brooklyn Museum in New York.
Good Job, TJR!

GO TJ! GO TJ! GO TJ!

Thank-you. I think I have seen these before in peoples homes. Remember, when you send me my prize, that I live in a different country. [just kidding]
Tom Roberts,aka TJR

#7 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

lip disc - Onuato Tribe - west africa

No! Nice try though. Very close.
TJR.

#8 ayjay

ayjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK.

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:44 AM

I had it down as some sort of meat dish when I saw it; the white lugs intrigue me though.

Are they to hold a carving knife against and thus prevent the meat from falling off whilst the dish is tipped to drain the juices - or what?

#9 Lucille Oka

Lucille Oka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:41 AM

I had it down as some sort of meat dish when I saw it; the white lugs intrigue me though.

Are they to hold a carving knife against and thus prevent the meat from falling off whilst the dish is tipped to drain the juices - or what?

I have been considering this as well and I wondered if the original cover for the platter was silver or silver plate and the lugs were used to hold the cover in place when it was folded backward to exposed the cooked roast for carving and serving. Not really sure but this is what I have deduced from reading the vessel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users