NEED ADVICE - Best sellers for Holiday Bazaars

Hi all

I am trying to find a few small holiday bazaars to go to this year; my focus is mainly pet hair and raku pottery. RIght now, I don't have a lot of items that are "holiday themed"....but I wanted to know from those of you that attend these things often, what seem to be your most popular sellers? are they ornaments? Mugs?

If you do Raku...what would you suggest taking?

Sinec the economy is down, I was going to try to take and make a lot of items under the $35 range, and have a lot of items in the $20 range - but can anyone give me ideas what seem to move the best?

thank you for any input / advice you might have - this was SPUR OF THE MOMENT and I don't have much time to get much done in addition to my current inventory - but a good chance to make some extra money if I can figure something out

C.

i would make as much of you can of what you normally do...adding to your line, especially on short notice, to fit the theme of a show is seldom a winner (been there!). just because it is a christmas bazaar does not mean people will be looking for cliche xmas stuff, in fact you may just stand out with your own work by NOT having popsicle-stick-cottonball-skiing-santa-ornaments, lol...people want unique gifts, and you will feel better

the price range you mention is good, even $10 to $40...but make sure you have a few big ones to catch their attention, never know, sometimes it only takes one of two people to have a worthwhile show

Mugs are a terrific holiday item, but I would steer you away from mugs since you are focusing on raku. And I agree with cass that you should make what you normally make, and don't worry about making holiday-themed pieces (any left over pieces can't be sold again until next december). We had a related thread about this a few months ago:

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/community/topic/2576-pottery-that-sells-at-christmas/

Mea

Thank you both, I did find the other thread after I had asked the question.....I didn't think about it the way you both mentioned...maybe it is best that I don't have a lot of holiday items. I do mostly horse hair and Raku, that is what I like, and what captures my interest; not too good at wheel throwing yet, so can't really take functional pottery at this point.

Thank you both - advice appreciated

Charlene

• 3 weeks later...

If you do raku work then a Yarn Bowl is a good item to put forward. Easily made by coiling etc., Very, very popular item with everyone. Check out etsy for a variety of styles.

Be aware that there are inescapable good practice points in creating a working yarn bowl.

Normally I avoid the 'Holiday Craft 'shows, but my local Hospice held one last week and I wanted to support it.

I do no holiday or themed work, I was the only booth there, among 72 set up, that did not carry "Ho Ho" stuff. I was the top seller by a lot. Adding, there are things I make that do better in summer others better in Fall, and I do consider glaze colors and seasonal color themes, but not pieces design.

Do what you do , do it well, and have a lot of stock in the low to med $ range.( that will vary for different areas.)

Archived