Lids Stick To Pots

rroseto

I'm using a wax resist with some alumina hydroxide added to prevent the lids from sticking to the pot. Will that work? Also, the red iron oxide in the glaze remains in some places on top of the wax even though I've sponged it off well and tried to scrape it off. Will this red that is on top of the wax burn off?

I'm using a wax resist with some alumina hydroxide added to prevent the lids from sticking to the pot. Will that work? Also, the red iron oxide in the glaze remains in some places on top of the wax even though I've sponged it off well and tried to scrape it off. Will this red that is on top of the wax burn off?

I use wax and alumina especially on porcelain which can tend to flux and stick. The alumina prevents that.

If you let the wax dry overnight, it is easier to clean the glaze off with a sponge. The red will not burn out.

• 2 weeks later...

Lids need to be wiped down very carefully in s'ware and porcelain. No need to wax. Ensure adequate space through careful throwing and turning practice. A sharp tap after firing and cooling is generally adequate for release. But for a belt and braces effect use Jane Hamlyn's Wadding recipe: Aluminum Hydrate 2 lbs.; China clay 8oz.; TWVD 4 0z. (ball clay); grog 4 oz. (80 mesh/dust). Fires hard and comes away clean. Do test. You can made balls or sausage shapes depending on your needs. Easy to adjust recipe down.

Archived