Kiln Lid not tightly closed?

post-13873-134971538311_thumb.jpgI am firing an old Skutt 231-18 for the first time I just bought. I am accordingly paranoid. I'm 5 hours in, going for 05, and Suddenly I can see around the entire lid about 1/16 of an inch gap between the lid and the body of the kiln. (see picture attached) It's glowing. The other points of contact, the bottom and the two rings are sealed just fine, cant' see any glow between them. IS THIS NORMAL?

Fearfully,

Ray

post-13873-134971538311_thumb.jpg

A week or two ago I was sitting by my Skutt 1227 and noticed (for the first time) the same thing you are talking about.

After a bit I figured out that I wasn't excatly looking into the kiln but rather looking at the glowing brick and that although the lid doesn't fit snug (flush) to the first ring section there was probably nothing to worry about.

Thinking about now. I will probably take a look on the back (hinged) side of the lid to make sure that it is even all the way around on the next fire.

:)

post-13873-134971538311_thumb.jpgI am firing an old Skutt 231-18 for the first time I just bought. I am accordingly paranoid. I'm 5 hours in, going for 05, and Suddenly I can see around the entire lid about 1/16 of an inch gap between the lid and the body of the kiln. (see picture attached) It's glowing. The other points of contact, the bottom and the two rings are sealed just fine, cant' see any glow between them. IS THIS NORMAL?

Fearfully,

Ray

Ray, a band of light under the lid is normal. This is due to the lid expansion. However, the lid should not lift up from the kiln. That would indicate that the hinge is not allowing the lid to "float," or rise with the expansion of the kiln. It is difficult to tell from your photo whether the lid is lifting.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

Fearfully,

Ray

I have noticed the same thing on my year old Skutt, maybe less than 1/16", but when my eyes are at the same elevation as the joint I can see red. I assumed this is from a slight out of level of the top of the interior bricks. I haven't worried about it or the heat loss from it as Skutt recommends leaving the to plug out. You can try to find the high spot if you are concerned but in my opinion it is OK to run as is.

Bruzbt

Thanks everyone. I was scared. This kiln is from the 60's and having never fired it, this glow ring thing was nerve wracking. But! it reached 05 in 5 hours and 14 minutes, so it must not have lost all that much heat. I ran it on low for one hour, med for 2 hours, then turned it up to high for the remaining 2 hrs 14 minute. 3/4 filled, test fire or Amaco Velvets. It's cooling down now, eager to look, but it's way to hot to handle.

I'm going to check the hinge though, as that does look like it may be out of whack.

Thanks again, I don't know what I'd do without this forum.

Ray

. . . as Skutt recommends leaving the to plug out. You can try to find the high spot if you are concerned but in my opinion it is OK to run as is.

Bruzbt

I left the top plug out (since it only came with three). After raising the temp to med in the second hour and checking the moisture escaping from the top plug hole with a mirror, it seemed like I was getting a good amount of steam. I'm 'once firing' glazed greenware, so that is not a surprise. I propped the lid with a fire brick for 1/2 an hour, and the steam seemed to go out quickly. I shut the lid, for a 1/2 hour on med, then up to high for 2 hrs 14 min to cone 05.

Archived