Re firing

CPT

Hi! Just did a kiln opening this morning. I did a Cone 06 glaze firing. Some of my pieces turned out great; the other pieces, not so great.

For one of my pieces, I used an underglaze black pencil for outlines, and it turned out too light. I'm thinking about using an underglaze pen instead over these areas and firing it again. The directions on the label say to fire the underglaze pen to 06.

What do you all think? Are the outlined shapes too fuzzy, or do they need more definition?

Should I refire at this temp again? Last time I did a refire at Cone 06, some of the underglaze flaked away and it looked terrible!

Wondering if I should refire at Cone 05.....

Any suggestions would be great. :)

post-10505-134944363025_thumb.jpg

post-10505-134944363025_thumb.jpg

I think the fuzzy lines go well with your design style, this fuzzy line is typical of underglaze pens. If you want a heavier more solid line you may have to use a black stain and a liner brush. Testing the black stain with your glaze will also give you a chance to practice using the liner brush, I mix some black stain in a black underglaze and then thin it down to the consistency I like to work with on majolica. Denice

Archived