gas firing

I always found low barometric pressure to be good for firing. Whyis it stalling. can you crank it up by opening the damper and increasing the gas?

What are you using? Propane or natural gas? What is your rating Pounds of pressure etc.?

Have you ever gotten past Cone 7? is this a new problem? What is different? Did you load anything differently?

Lots of variables, you need to give more information.

Marcia

It's a bit tricky, but if you pull the damper an inch, you should get the air moving. It takes a while for adjustments to have an impact ,and all kilns are different. I am also in Canada.Don't forget that if you were in an airplane and the pilot had a heart attack, I'd be the guy trying to teach you how to land the plane via instructions over a cel phone.

It's a bit tough without seeing the kiln, burners,how it is stacked, etc.

TJR

I always found low barometric pressure to be good for firing. Whyis it stalling. can you crank it up by opening the damper and increasing the gas?

What are you using? Propane or natural gas? What is your rating Pounds of pressure etc.?

Have you ever gotten past Cone 7? is this a new problem? What is different? Did you load anything differently?

Lots of variables, you need to give more information.

Marcia

I"m actually posting for friends who are firing our studio kiln and it's been stalled for almost 5 hours. Propane gas, firing went well through reduction but at 7 the bottom stalled and now the 9 is down on top and just soft on bottom. The temp wont' rise; they've tried everything. More gas, open damper, close damper. All leaving it be for at least 20 minutes before doing another adjustment. I told them that they lost their combustion and that they need to find the right "mix" of gas, air to get the kiln moving again but nothing is working.

I should add that we have been firing this same kiln for over 10 years now and it always fires like a dream! I think the humidity is killing the temp rise; that has been my experience when firing on soupy days. Also the stack is tight but we have fired it much tighter with tons of flat shelves. There are a variety of heights.

for a cold bottom on a downdraft, I would make a long licking flame by cutting back on the air and dampening down a little bit until a licking flame is at the bottom peep hole.

That was on my kilns in Montana at 3000 ft above sea level.

All kilns have their ways. Someone who has been firing for 10 years should know that kiln. It is peculiar to have such a problem all of a sudden.

Marcia

Archived