Photo
- - - - -

What's the best potters wheel on a budget?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:35 AM

Brent wheels are great but pricey for new and used. That beind said, and not being sure of what your budget is, I'd recommend a Shimpo Clay Boss or Big Boss - between $300-$700. I have both (Big Boss I got frmo an art center that was going out of business for $200, my Clay Boss (Elite) was a b-day gift from hubby) and both can center 25 lbs with no problem - I've never done 50 but the torque on the wheel would suggest it could. The wheel is very quiet, and has a removable pan. If you can, spend the extra to get the optinoal shelf that is attached. It feels awkward at first, but when I'm at my wheel that doesn't have it, I'm at a loss for space. Good luck!

The old maxim you get what you pay for isn't always true, but for potters wheels I think it is. Shimpo doesn't make the Clay Boss.

Jim
E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#22 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

I bought my Clay Boss 2 years ago and it has been in daily use ever since. It has never given me a moment of trouble. Runs quiet, handles 100 lbs of clay...providing I could lift that much lol. I bought mine because it was low priced, but now that I have owned one for 2 years...even when I can afford the more expensive wheels I would still buy the Clay Boss. The control is so much better on it than on the Brents we have at the University. I honestly can't say enough good things about my wheel...

Pleeeeeeze post a video of you centering 100 lbs of clay on your Clay Boss.

Jim
E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#23 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 1,739 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:44 AM

I like my Bailey. BUT the best choice of wheel is the one that fits you and your needs. Price can vary depending on new, used or the distributor.
Marcia

I bought one Bailey for the HS studio way back, and then ended up buying 3 more over the years. Price, power and versatility was great. It has a great splash pan, a good size deck, decent foot controller, and it is reversible. For us it was a good buy and they are still running well.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#24 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:16 AM

Prices depend quite a lot of the distributors. You can buy factory direct or go through a distributor like your local clay supplier. Bennetts Pottery supply is a good one as well.
Shop around. It is definitely worth the time to see models, sit down and feel if the position is comfortable for you.
Marcia

#25 MMB

MMB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationHartwell, GA

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:30 PM

I remember posting a topic like this a while back. Well personally I bit the bullet and bought a Brent Model C with the 14 inch wheel head. I used brents in college and I remember them being somewhat noisy but I mean at the end of the day you give something enough time, wear, and tear it will eventually make noise. Right now my wheel is quiet besides the slight hum of the motor. We had 12 inch heads in college yet I had forgotten. I remember unpacking my new wheel and was like holy CRAP! thats a big wheel head!

Shop around because there are some places that "factor in their shipping" and in a sense they do it right but depending on your location you could save some money. I live in north GA and Clay-King (Spartanburg, SC) is about a lil over an hour from me, yet I ended up ordering the same wheel from a place in FL probably almost ten times the distance as Clay king was from me and I still was able save a 100+ bucks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users