• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 dregles

dregles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:54 PM

Thanks y'all.  I'll probably just buy the official stuff.

But thermal mass might be needed to get the kiln to cone 10.  plus it'll soak more and cool slower. 

#22 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:56 PM

I once had a small skutt and the dead ring slowed down the fire-that was a bisque-I took it out

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#23 dregles

dregles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:58 PM

Thanks for the information on the center ring.  Are elements labeled center the ones to get for the top of the bottom and the lower half of the top section?

#24 justanassembler

justanassembler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:27 PM

call skutt, tell them what you have and they can make the exact recommendations, you can also buy elements directly from them @ 39.00 a piece.

#25 perkolator

perkolator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:08 PM

Don't separate the kiln for this firing, but you technically could if you want to.  I would consult the Skutt manual and perhaps speak to a Skutt Tech before attempting to fire this way, so you're sure you know what youre doing first.  Manuals can be found on the Skutt website, as with contact info for tech stuff.

Dregles:  You need to call Skutt and figure out which elements you need.  Depending on the version of kiln you have, there could be 2-3 types of elements that go inside (top/bottom, center, and intermediate element sections), but typically there are just the t/b and center versions - and different versions of those for the voltage/amps you have.  with no blank ring, the kiln will fire faster than with, as there is a higher elements:space ratio and it should struggle less getting there.  sometimes that extra ring will help get a particular piece in, but most of the time you may choose to fire without it. if you plan to fire to midrange and above for most of your firings, then you may want to look into getting the APM elements - thicker gauge wire made from slightly different material, and has a much better thermal output and lifespan.  you pay more for them, but they're pretty much worth it if you can afford the sticker price.  adding bricks to the inside won't help you except to waste energy - adding a fiber blanket to the outside of the kiln will most likely do something though, but probably not enough to bother.  these kilns are pretty efficient on their own these days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users