Skutt 231-18 two sections?

I am about to fire a kiln I bought used for the 1st time. I am testing some glazes and the kiln, and want to use only one ring of a Skutt 231-18. I have no instruction manual, so I assume I just remove the top ring, remove the lid from it, and fire it up? Sounds too easy, am I over-thinking this?

Rpost-13873-13492778835_thumb.jpg

post-13873-13492778835_thumb.jpg

You can do that, but the difference in firing cost would be minimal. If you do it, make sure there's no risk of someone (children) sticking something into the exposed interbox plug while it's firing. And move it away from the wall and get those rugs out of there, too. Nothing flammable with 24 inches!

Just leave them together and fire.The cost will not matter much and it will be safer and easier,

My 2 cents

There is a separate switch to turn the electric on for the top section. Should I leave that off, if I'm keeping the top section on? This is a test firing, I don't have enough material to fill the kilt above the 1st level.

R

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am about to replace the elements in skutt 231-18.  Replacement elements range from $40-200.

http://www.seattlepotterysupply.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=SKRP

http://kruegerpottery.com/repair-parts/skutt-repair/skutt-elements/10-sided-kilns/element-for-km1018-ks108-231-18-240v-1ph-top-bottom.html

Whats up?  I plan to fire this kiln to cone 10.  Advice please :)

well--I would first ask why you're firing to 10 in oxidation, and if you don't have a compelling reason, for the sake of your elements I would consider dropping to six...  That aside, the 49.00 price is for ONE element.  There are four in that kiln, 200.00 is about right for a set of four.  You should check the wiring harness on the inside of the control box before you order and make sure none of the wires there are getting crispy...  If they are, you should replace that at the same time you do the elements.  I think a new harness is between 30-50 USD.

I think this kiln is rated to cone 8 tops-it says on the label.

If its eight thats pushing it to fire it to 8- If it says 10 thats aslo pushing it as the elements will wear out sooner

I also think this is a 2.5 inch wall thickness? really not suitable for cone 8 yet alone cone 10.

You can always call skutt and ask them.

Mark

I was planning on putting some hard bricks inside the kiln as furniture and to hold more heat since the kiln has 2.5" bricks.  eh guys?

Also what about these elements on ebay that just say 220V 600W.  They come in all different wattages from 200-5000.  Also I only have top and bottom no middle kiln section.  Seems like bigceramicsstore.com is a rip.

The price at Big ceramic store is the standard list price. Not a rip at all. I would never buy elements off eBay. Are you looking at the $5.00 Chinese crap? The chance of one of those working properly is one in a million. It's not just about the wattage. It's about the thickness of the wire, the size of the mandrel they were rolled on, the length of the element, and the resistance. And 220 volts doesn't exist in the US. It's either 240 volts or 208 volts, and you have to get the right one. Just pay the $49 per element for the real deal and you'll be good to go.

The hard brick will just be more mass for the kin to heat up, wasting energy.

I am about to replace the elements in skutt 231-18.  Replacement elements range from $40-200.

http://www.seattlepotterysupply.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=SKRP

http://kruegerpottery.com/repair-parts/skutt-repair/skutt-elements/10-sided-kilns/element-for-km1018-ks108-231-18-240v-1ph-top-bottom.html

Whats up?  I plan to fire this kiln to cone 10.  Advice please :)

I suggest calling skutt on which elements you will need to fire this kiln to cone 10.These may be a different element than the ones you are talking out.-Does the kiln  plate on side say cone 10?

They will give you the specifics and you can buy them where you like (not E-bay as Neil said)

Do not add hard bricks as this is just more themo mass to heat up.

Mark

the empty middle ring is just to allow a taller piece the room you need to fire it.  you will be heating more space than you need if you leave it in place all the time. your kiln may not go to the top temp if you use the empty ring.  set it aside unless you make very tall stuff or want to bisque a large load.

Don't separate the kiln for this firing, but you technically could if you want to.  I would consult the Skutt manual and perhaps speak to a Skutt Tech before attempting to fire this way, so you're sure you know what youre doing first.  Manuals can be found on the Skutt website, as with contact info for tech stuff.

Dregles:  You need to call Skutt and figure out which elements you need.  Depending on the version of kiln you have, there could be 2-3 types of elements that go inside (top/bottom, center, and intermediate element sections), but typically there are just the t/b and center versions - and different versions of those for the voltage/amps you have.  with no blank ring, the kiln will fire faster than with, as there is a higher elements:space ratio and it should struggle less getting there.  sometimes that extra ring will help get a particular piece in, but most of the time you may choose to fire without it. if you plan to fire to midrange and above for most of your firings, then you may want to look into getting the APM elements - thicker gauge wire made from slightly different material, and has a much better thermal output and lifespan.  you pay more for them, but they're pretty much worth it if you can afford the sticker price.  adding bricks to the inside won't help you except to waste energy - adding a fiber blanket to the outside of the kiln will most likely do something though, but probably not enough to bother.  these kilns are pretty efficient on their own these days.

Archived