Share your favorite quote on pottery or ceramics. | Oct. 2, 2012

Guest JBaymore

We all likely have found some inspirational comment from someone in a book, video, or workshop that had an important impact upon us over the years. it may have been in a ceramic specific context, or it may have been in another context that we extrapolated directly to our "ceramic lives". What are they?

Share your favorite quote on pottery or ceramics............

Check out joining the Potters Council ( www.potterscouncil.org ) for more networking possibilities, peer mentoring opportunities, discounts on books, magazines, and DVDs, health insurance, credit card merchant programs, and many other member benefits.

But the vessel that he was making of clay was spoiled in the hand of the potter; so he remade it into another vessel, as it pleased the potter to make. Jeremiah 18:4, New American Standard Bible (NASB)

So you want some quotes eh.........In the bathroom at the Helena Clay Arts Guild with pictures cut out of pottery magazines there are also quotes written on the wall, here are some of my favorites:

"The most important aspect of any pottery is the spirit behind it, each kiln must have something in it of you, pottery cannot be a means of something else, I think it is itself. If you’re enthused about what you’re doing, it’s going to show.†David Shaner

“Art does not have the letter should in it.†JD St. Clair

“Art like life should be gulp not sip. " Anon

“It doesn’t mean a thing, if it an’ t got that swing.†Duke Ellington

“If you want to be an artist you most go within and work every day†unknown

Edie

• 4 weeks later...

'Lascia me stare et non mi tocare'.

This appears on an Italian albarelli located in the Robert Lehman collection at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. What do you suppose it means?

post-2283-13517600824_thumb.jpg

It means 'handle me and touch me not'. It is a pharmacy jar used for toxic substances.

post-2283-13517600824_thumb.jpg

Archived