#21 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

is anyone working on this? it has been a long time since the last post. now that i have new elements installed (HOORAY< I DID IT!!!) i need to fire those 20 bowls. some have the green underglaze on them and i have covered them in a different glaze this time. if it works, i will share that recipe.
"putting you down does not raise me up."

#22 oldlady

oldlady

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

SUCCESS!!

i am sending out the recipe i found that works to cover amoco velvet green #353 and allows it to remain green. it is from George Wettlaufer's 1976 book, "getting into pots" and he describes it as having a waxy surface. the original recipe called for a feldspar called C-6, a soda spar. when i was unable to find any information on this product (even in the materials list posted on Digitalfire) i called mr. wettlaufer and asked what he would suggest to replace it. his reply was Kona F-4.

WETTLAUFER GLAZE 18 CONE 6

soda spar (Kona F-4) 40
whiting 15
ball clay, (i use C&C) 20 (i work with white clay so i use the whitest ball clay i can get, C&C but OM4 would work, too)
silica 325 (flint) 15
dolomite 10

total 100

add 2% bentonite

my notes after the first time i used it are VERY NICE SURFACE.

this covers colors nicely EXCEPT my mixed underglaze yellow which had floating chunks of yellow suspended above the clay and below the glaze which looked like someone threw yellow sand at a clear paint. unlike other glazes i have tested, this one does not "flatten" texture which is the most important quality for me. if you want to try it, test, test test.

#23 oldlady

oldlady

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:19 AM

csc,

have you been trying any of these glazes? i really wish i could send you a picture.

i was so pleased that 3 of the green underglazed pieces came out well enough to take to the empty bowl supper on friday. i approached one young man who had one of them and asked why he picked it out of the 400 bowls that were on offer. he said he liked the color. hooray! unfortunately, he dropped it on the driveway as he was leaving. we had some extra bowls and we gave him a green one from another potter so he at least had a green one.

#24 SmartsyArtsy

SmartsyArtsy

Chris Seminara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

I am so glad you found a solution. I am very busy getting glaze firings done for holiday shows. Wll pick up playtime in a couple of months. I wonder if the soda vs potash made the diff. There is also very little magnesium in the "good" glaze.

#25 SmartsyArtsy

SmartsyArtsy

Chris Seminara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

The piece that started this thread, and disappointed me, just sold -- with much joy--at a weekend show. You see, it's all about expectations!!

I already miss it..

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users