fire prevention

October is Fire Prevention month . . . so, remember to check/replace the battery in the smoke detector located in your kiln room/area and the charge status of your fire extinguisher located nearby the kiln. All of us potters with kilns in our houses and garages . . . we do have smoke detectors and fire extinguishers, right? If you fire gas/propane, a carbon monoxide detector is a smart investment.

Guest JBaymore

Excellent advice. I talk in my kiln design and operation classes how potters tend to get rather complacent around fire. We tend to view it totally as a friend.

Ask a fireman about fire; you'll get to see a side of your "friend" that can be quite disturbing.

best,

...................john

I grew up on a block where there was a fire house. The firemen were all great guys. During block parties they would let the children (mostly boys of course) climb upon the fire trucks and they would have a high ‘old time’.

During a big blackout the block was as dark as could be, the fire house turned on the fire truck lights and lit up our street; it made us all feel so safe walking home. Growing up I always felt fortunate and safe having a fire house on our street.

Not until I moved away did I have a chance to see from my window fire fighters at work; there was a blazing fire across the alley. The fire was so hot that it made my windows hot; that's how close it was. I had a clear view straight into the burning building. It was the first time I had seen fire fighters at work. It was the most amazing thing I had ever seen. The fire fighters went into the blazing fire to fight it. They stood in the middle of the blazing rooms looking at the fire, analyzing how best to fight it. And fight it they did.

Fire fighters are by far the bravest men I have ever seen in my entire life. From that day forward my respect for fire has grown but my respect and appreciation for the fire fighters is greater. God Bless them all.

Archived