Please help - two layer cup.

Hi all,

I am very new to this forum, as well as to ceramics. That would be really appreciated if someone could help me out explaining the techniques to make double layer cup.

My guess is the artist makes two layers separately, bisque them both and then under glaze with colour and finally glaze them both in satin clear before place them in the kiln so that the glaze with melt down and stick the two layers together.

Any ideas?

Ohayou CKIEers! How about some coffee while I tell you about my project Holey Jolly Cup and my love for ceramics.

“What a wonderful world!†This is the motto that I live by and it reflects in all my designs. The idea of Holey Jolly Cup stems from the fact that I love to linger over my drink. It amuses me no end to see people gulp their drinks in a hurry. Tea and Coffee drinking can be a whole new experience if we just open our minds to the Holey Jolly.

Working with porcelain borders between art and creating magic. The process requires me to work with a hard-paste and then fashion it into these fascinating double-layered cups. The double layer acts as an insulator, protecting your hands from scalding while consuming a hot beverage. To add a dash of ###### I’ve added holes on the outer shell. My basic intention is for you to have an emotional connection with the cup that you use, and in turn enjoy your drink to the fullest.

makiko__9900_photo2.jpg

The process may sound simple on paper, but trust me it’s a lot more complicated when you have to work with powder, fire and molds! Not only is it time consuming but also a delicate procedure. But none of this deters me from my passion and this is why I’ve come to CKIE. I need your support to fund this project and make it a reality.

It’s been a long journey for me, from Japan to London, studying at the Royal College of Art and working with the most talented people in the industry. I want to share my love for the craft with you. I want to be Holey Jolly with you!

makiko__18414_photo1.jpg

makiko__7966_IMG_1926.jpg

Source My link

Maybe a past post would help ? There are others too.

(Slip) Cast Party: Creating Unique Double-Walled Forms Using Mold Making and Slip Casting Techniques

By Hiroe Hanazono, November 14, 2011

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/pottery-making-techniques/making-ceramic-molds/slip-cast-party-creating-unique-double-walled-forms-using-mold-making-and-slip-casting-techniques/

There was a recent article in Pottery Making Illustrated about making a double-walled vase. Maybe you have access to the magazine. Basically, they made up several components and put them together into one form.

I have made double-wall pieces throwing upside down on the wheel, first pulling up the inner "bowl" and closing that form, then pulling the outer walls up, splitting the wall, and closing the bottom with the inner split and forming a foot with the outer split. This tends to leave a wide rim when turned right side up, which glive you a lot of space to decorate. Look up Peter T. Wang on Youtube and he shows this method. Check his work here: http://petertwang.deviantart.com/gallery/11396580 At least at one point he was a college level math professor, hence the geometrics.

There is also youdanxxx on Youtube that makes some double-wall forms right side up. If you search Youtube for double wall pottery, you will turn up several.

If I were going to make a form similar to the picture you included, I would make the outside piece, then make an inside piece with a wide flange to join to the outside, holey part. Before putting them together I would underglaze the inside piece in the contrasting color.

This is one of those things that looks pretty clever, but you end up with a cup that is heavy for its size in the end, but maybe you don't burn your fingers when using it. If you add a proper handle to a mug, you don't burn your fingers either. When I have offered them for sale, the buyers didn't seem impressed; some asked why I would do that. They were not a big seller, so I stopped making them. It's a good exercise to try for skill building.

John

I think those are slip cast. From my meager knowledge these are the steps I would take trying to reproduce...

Make a mold with an inner 'dome tower' :ie the shape of the indie of the glass. And two clam shell halves for the outside.

when the slip is poured in from the bottom it would stick to the inside wall and outside wall (and leave a foot around the bottom)

pull that out of the mold and maybe use a color slip (or stain) for the inside as it will still be easy to reach . At some point cut the holes (maybe after the slip so you don't get slip in the holes- maybe before so the holes don't mess up the slip). And add a slab to the bottom (the foot might even be cast with a lip that would hold the base slab in place so it doesn't fall too far in.)

Then bisque and glaze in clear?

-----------

Can't tell if the inside of the outside wall has color on it... it's possible with the bottom open they just pour color inside before cutting holes and it doesn't matter if that part of the wall has color because it's impossible to see)

I'm sure the holes were cut last after the molding, I can see no clear pattern on them. Or the maker was very good at placing them in the picture so a pattern couldn't be seen (this seems unlikely though because there are five cups and only two sides of a cup, a pattern would likely show).

The cups seems to even in size shape to be thrown individually.

-------

Anyway, fun to study them and speculate, it could probably be done several ways.

It looks like no matter what quite a bit of time is probably spent on each cup, and you'd have to be meticulous in your dish upkeep to keep them that clean for long :)

Talk about high maintenance!

Hmmm.... Given how close the holes are to the rim of the cup and the thickness at the top between the inside and outer shell of the cup, my guess is the the inside and outside are two separate molds or throws. I'm pretty sure they could'nt have created those top holes so cleanly if it was only one piece without damaging the inner cup... I'm leaning towards molds because of the precision needed for each cup to match the rim of the inner to the outer cup so precisely. The inner cup would have a small rim that allows it to nestle on top of the rim of the outter cup. Both molds are poured. The outside cup then has the holes drilled and the inside cup has the outside coated with color (slip, stain, whatever...) while softer than leather hard. Then the two are slipped together at the rim. Fired and then clear glazed.

If you were to glaze the two pieces together rather than slip them, you would see the seam between the two cups and I don't see a seam.

That's how I would attempt this project. And by the way, I love IT!! tongue.gif Thanks for sharing!

Throwing double walled cups is fun but these aren't thrown - they are double bottomed too (holes in the bottom)

a thought (about throwing) - if you're precise enough i guess you could make and trim a cup that would just fit inside another cup, then maybe seal the rim by throwing a coil on top. now there's something to try out

Archived