Best Art Colleges For Ceramic Near Massachusetts

Hi i am a junior high school looking for a good ceramic college near Massachusetts

I really want to try all the different kind of potter I have been doing it for about 3 years now i go to a local potter

I want to learn everything from earthenware to porcelain to Raku I just want to learn all different kind of stuff

I am also thinking of maybe getting a apprenticeship

any information would be greatly appreciated

thanks,

Josh

Guest JBaymore

Hi i am a junior high school looking for a good ceramic college near Massachusetts

I really want to try all the different kind of potter I have been doing it for about 3 years now i go to a local potter

I want to learn everything from earthenware to porcelain to Raku I just want to learn all different kind of stuff

I am also thinking of maybe getting a apprenticeship

any information would be greatly appreciated

thanks,

Josh

Hi Josh.

There are many choices in the Northeast for clay. Right there in Mass you have MassArt (Massachusetts College of Art and Design) in Boston........ which is a great school. And there are also UMass Dartmouth, and UMass Amherst. There is RISD (Rhode Island School of Design). Maine College of Art.

There are great differenes between getting a college degree and doing an apprenticeship. You have to identify your future goals in life to decide which one might be right for you. And also realize that even if you first do an apprenticeship....... that does not preclude a later college degree... and vice versa.

That being said.... these days a college degree in any field is not a bad thing to have on a resume. The issue in any field does seem to boil down to what is the cost of getting that degree.... and can you afford to earn it back after your are done in a reasonable time. Some people with even very good jobs (even lawyers) find that the cost of all that college places a crippling burden on them. It is a balancing act. Having $120,000 in school loans and wanting to be a full time studio potter is likely not a wise combination to start off life with these days wink.gif .

If you are in any way thinking post secondary teaching... then a BFA and then a Masters are likely in your future. If you are thinking of primary or secondary level teaching.... you'll be looking at a BA or a BFA usually with a teaching certification that is either integral to the undergrad program or a fifth year addition.

If you are planning on being a studio artist and making ceramic pieces........ the degree helps with developing a personal focus and direction in your work as well as with "professional credibility. It helps "open doors", and it helps with professional connections. It gives you a broad based education, including important stuff outside of clay. But often the college degree can benefit from some supplemental education via an apprenticeship or an artist in residence program. Running a small business (being a "potter") is not tauught in detail in most art schools.

If you decide a BFA is an option you are potentially interested in, I teach at New Hampshire Institute of Art in Manchester NH. That's is another option for you that is close by. Take a look at the school's website: http://www.nhia.edu/ (here's my faculty page: http://www.nhia.edu/new-facultypage-5/ )

I am sure that you'll get more info from others soon. If you have questions... ask.

best,

...................john

Archived