14 replies to this topic

#1 oakhillstudio

oakhillstudio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:42 PM

Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good spray gun. I have a general purpose one but it only has fan shaped spray.

#2 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:31 PM

Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good spray gun. I have a general purpose one but it only has fan shaped spray.

TCP Global has a 10 piece HVLP spray gun set for $100. You get 3 guns (1.8mm tip, 1.4mm tip, 1.0 tip) The 1.0 tip is a detail gun.

An option for someone just getting started is Harbor Freight's HVLP Spray Gun Kit for $129. It's a good all-purpose gun that doesn't need a compressor. It works great if you don't need a detail gun.

Jim
E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#3 perkolator

perkolator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:03 PM

detail stuff i'd recommend an airbrush. for large areas any decent sprayer should do the trick but usually gravity feed is preferred for spraying minerals/glaze through it. in our studio i've got a very cheap auto parts store siphon feed set that came with a large and small sprayer - seems to work pretty well actually and has been student-proof for several years, surprisingly. for an inexpensive sprayer that will spray almost any consistency material is the "critter" siphon feed sprayer - that thing is amazing! and will accept mason jars or small plastic mayo jars as the res.

#4 missholly

missholly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Locationzanesville, ohio

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

so, what about a compressor with a tank vs. a tankless?
I've read that the compressor with a tank takes time to fill up, is loud but offers a smoother spray.
(tankless uses pistons, which interrupt the flow of paint/air)

how important is a 50 psi compressor?
most that I'm seeing under $100 are 25-30. is this acceptable?

i have an inflator/compressor that i got at lowes for $40.
the only thing I'm stuck on is the link between the compressor hose (it has a cap on the end with a plastic lever that is for inflating tires)
and my airbrush hose. is there an adapter? or should i just give up and get a compressor specifically for airbrushing?
www.lotsapotsa.com
www.daddyzero.com

#5 DAY

DAY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:41 AM

Harbor Freight has lots of compressors, hoses, adapters, and spray guns. Shop on line, if one isn't close to you.

#6 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

Harbor Freight has lots of compressors, hoses, adapters, and spray guns. Shop on line, if one isn't close to you.

Or look at the 2nd post in this thread.
E pur si muove.

#7 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

so, what about a compressor with a tank vs. a tankless?
I've read that the compressor with a tank takes time to fill up, is loud but offers a smoother spray.
(tankless uses pistons, which interrupt the flow of paint/air)

how important is a 50 psi compressor?
most that I'm seeing under $100 are 25-30. is this acceptable?

i have an inflator/compressor that i got at lowes for $40.
the only thing I'm stuck on is the link between the compressor hose (it has a cap on the end with a plastic lever that is for inflating tires)
and my airbrush hose. is there an adapter? or should i just give up and get a compressor specifically for airbrushing?

Most likely you'll be wasting your time trying to convert the tire inflator. For an airbrush the cheaper compressor will probably work but for larger sprayers you need a better compressor and I think an airbrush works better with higher psi, too. Depends on airbrush. If you're going to do anything more than detail work with glazes, you need more than an airbrush so the cheapest option if you don't own a good compressor is the Harbor Freight $129 spray gun set that doesn't need a compressor. That gun is fine for overall glaze application but not for detail. See 2nd post in this thread for more info.
E pur si muove.

#8 missholly

missholly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Locationzanesville, ohio

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

id like to use the airbrush for all over coverage so i don't have to dip the pieces, and eventually some detail work.
ill check out harbor freight.

thanks!
www.lotsapotsa.com
www.daddyzero.com

#9 Harry Potter

Harry Potter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationLouisiana and Mississippi

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:31 AM

Hi folks,

I use a siphon spray gun from axner (k-grip). Very easy to clean. Delivers good amount of glaze. I use a siphon feed air brush for smaller amounts of application. Both work great.

#10 clay lover

clay lover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

Really happy here with a 5 gallon tank compressor from Northern Tool. I use several different guns, depending on what I'm doing.

#11 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

I just replaced my old compressor with a LPHV and I am very happy with the glaze applications. I have a Paasche airbrush compressor and airbrushes for detail work.
Marcia

#12 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:47 AM

I just replaced my old compressor with a LPHV and I am very happy with the glaze applications. I have a Paasche airbrush compressor and airbrushes for detail work.
Marcia

These are the BEST for spraying glaze LPHV-I have one as well-they work well with finishes for wood as well.
Mark
Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#13 docweathers

docweathers

Gismo Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationSpokane Wa

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

I don't have a great deal of experience to compare gravity feed spray guns, but some time ago I bought a cheapie ($9.28 with shipping) on eBay. It seems well constructed and works pretty well. I just ordered two more so that I can switch glazes without cleaning the gun. The vendor's store is HitTime Store

Larry

Lawrence Weathers

Gismo Guy

Welded Sculpture
Pottery
Spokane WA

#14 Airbrushfan

Airbrushfan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

I'd also pay some attention on the noise level of a compressor. The cheaper the louder... ^^

#15 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

That was one reason I got rid of my old compressor. It was really noisy. This LPHV seems about as loud as a low vacuum cleaner. Not bad imo.

Marcia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users