spray guns for glazing

oakhillstudio

Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good spray gun. I have a general purpose one but it only has fan shaped spray.

TCP Global has a 10 piece HVLP spray gun set for $100. You get 3 guns (1.8mm tip, 1.4mm tip, 1.0 tip) The 1.0 tip is a detail gun.

An option for someone just getting started is Harbor Freight's HVLP Spray Gun Kit for $129. It's a good all-purpose gun that doesn't need a compressor. It works great if you don't need a detail gun.

Jim

detail stuff i'd recommend an airbrush. for large areas any decent sprayer should do the trick but usually gravity feed is preferred for spraying minerals/glaze through it. in our studio i've got a very cheap auto parts store siphon feed set that came with a large and small sprayer - seems to work pretty well actually and has been student-proof for several years, surprisingly. for an inexpensive sprayer that will spray almost any consistency material is the "critter" siphon feed sprayer - that thing is amazing! and will accept mason jars or small plastic mayo jars as the res.

• 2 months later...

so, what about a compressor with a tank vs. a tankless?

I've read that the compressor with a tank takes time to fill up, is loud but offers a smoother spray.

(tankless uses pistons, which interrupt the flow of paint/air)

how important is a 50 psi compressor?

most that I'm seeing under $100 are 25-30. is this acceptable?

i have an inflator/compressor that i got at lowes for $40.

the only thing I'm stuck on is the link between the compressor hose (it has a cap on the end with a plastic lever that is for inflating tires)

and my airbrush hose. is there an adapter? or should i just give up and get a compressor specifically for airbrushing?

so, what about a compressor with a tank vs. a tankless?

I've read that the compressor with a tank takes time to fill up, is loud but offers a smoother spray.

(tankless uses pistons, which interrupt the flow of paint/air)

how important is a 50 psi compressor?

most that I'm seeing under $100 are 25-30. is this acceptable?

i have an inflator/compressor that i got at lowes for $40.

the only thing I'm stuck on is the link between the compressor hose (it has a cap on the end with a plastic lever that is for inflating tires)

and my airbrush hose. is there an adapter? or should i just give up and get a compressor specifically for airbrushing?

Most likely you'll be wasting your time trying to convert the tire inflator. For an airbrush the cheaper compressor will probably work but for larger sprayers you need a better compressor and I think an airbrush works better with higher psi, too. Depends on airbrush. If you're going to do anything more than detail work with glazes, you need more than an airbrush so the cheapest option if you don't own a good compressor is the Harbor Freight $129 spray gun set that doesn't need a compressor. That gun is fine for overall glaze application but not for detail. See 2nd post in this thread for more info.

Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good spray gun. I have a general purpose one but it only has fan shaped spray.

I use a siphon spray gun from axner (k-grip). Very easy to clean. Delivers good amount of glaze. I use a siphon feed air brush for smaller amounts of application. Both work great.

I just replaced my old compressor with a LPHV and I am very happy with the glaze applications. I have a Paasche airbrush compressor and airbrushes for detail work.

Marcia

These are the BEST for spraying glaze LPHV-I have one as well-they work well with finishes for wood as well.

Mark

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

detail stuff i'd recommend an airbrush. for large areas any decent sprayer should do the trick but usually gravity feed is preferred for spraying minerals/glaze through it. in our studio i've got a very cheap auto parts store siphon feed set that came with a large and small sprayer - seems to work pretty well actually and has been student-proof for several years, surprisingly. for an inexpensive sprayer that will spray almost any consistency material is the "critter" siphon feed sprayer - that thing is amazing! and will accept mason jars or small plastic mayo jars as the res.

I need a spray gun or an airbrush. Usually I do a thin dip glaze on my work and then put some colour in specific areas on some objects that are rather small. My guess is that I need an air gun not a spray gun for this. I was looking at the Critter spray gun which looks like it works very well with spraying as it is much like the mouth aspirator in principle. However its description in application of glaze sounds like it might not work in my case (circular glaze pattern only). How do the airbrush fare in terms of cleaning? Do they clog up easily? Any working particularly well in this regards?

thanks

Joan Scott

Hi Joan

Here are a few Airbrush basics

Glazes are prety easy to clean from an airbrush. Pay extra cleaning attention when switching from things like oxides. Filter your glaze through a screen to keep the big stuff out. You will probably use medium to large tip in your airbrush.

The one to buy depends on your local supply of parts. I would purchase a name brand airbrush. Iwata, Paasshe, Badger, Thayer and Chandler have been around for a long time. I use an Iwata eclipse and have a plethora of Passche air brushes. The Iwata gets the most use. It's more comfortable to me, sprays a variety of thicknesses and is easy to unclog. You can set up a Passche to work as well as the eclipse, but It's a little more finicky with a variety of thicknesses.

On the cheap, singe action brushes are great for basic spraying. A double action cost more and gives you the ability to vary the spray pattern. A double action brush has more of a learning curve, but it's more versatile.

The spray cups that hold your paint come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. The small ones on top or at the side are for quick color changes. The bottles that attach are for larger quantities. I use the bottles most of the time and have a small color cup that attaches when I will be swapping lots of color.

The HP BCS uses the bottles, It's a work horse, you will find this bush in many a tool box.

I use the createx bottle adapters

The color cup I have plugs in the bottom, But the color cup is off to the side like the HP SBS. I'm not quite sure where I aquired the color cup, It could be a different brand, It's probably a Paasche part. The hole where you mount the bottles is pretty much universal, there may be a slight diameter difference. The angle of that hole is often different between manufactures, making it difficult to swap different brand bottles.

The air brushes with the color cup on top are more of a specialized thing. They are great when mixing your own small amounts of color, china paints, Gouache, nail artist ect..

Archived