#21 dave the potter

dave the potter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationNorth Augusta SC

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:04 AM

There has been some good advise and some questionable suggestions on this subject. I am just glad that building and firing kilns was a part of my schooling and how I have worked in the 40 years since. Please be careful! A kiln that comes apart at 1500-2000 degrees is a serious matter.

#22 Cass

Cass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:21 AM

craiglist definitely...don't forget to place 'wanted to buy kiln' postings, 2 kilns i have found, the person did not know they wanted to sell, they just had a kiln collecting dust and saw my request...

local swap sheet too, most communities have these

#23 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:28 PM

You can buy good 8 pound density ceramic fiber on eBay but it has gone up over $70 since that video was made. You can also build a burner ffor $40 -50 maybe if you already have some of the necessary tools.
I built a catenary arch kiln with free bricks from an old boiler that was in the woods in upstate NY back in 1971. That was outside a very small town. search your area for old industrial sites and look for old boilers linden with fire brick. maybe you'll be lucky and find some.
Marcia

#24 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

You can buy good 8 pound density ceramic fiber on eBay but it has gone up over $70 since that video was made. You can also build a burner ffor $40 -50 maybe if you already have some of the necessary tools.
I built a catenary arch kiln with free bricks from an old boiler that was in the woods in upstate NY back in 1971. That was outside a very small town. search your area for old industrial sites and look for old boilers linden with fire brick. maybe you'll be lucky and find some.
Marcia

#25 porcelainsculptor

porcelainsculptor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:18 AM

Thanks to everyone for all of the good advice! I decided against building a kiln and went to CL instead. I found a gas kiln and wheel for $150!!! It's a miracle. I'm so excited. My friend is picking if up for me next week. It's a 3ft high gas kiln that belonged to the seller's mother, she passed away and he decided to sell it. I have no idea if it works or not or what I will have to do to get it going again but it has to be better than building one myself so there you go. I haven't seen it yet but my friend described the room it was in and seems like it was set up professionally - huge vent, etc. My friend is an electrician and he said the kiln looked good, no rust, parts looked OK. I probably won't have it installed for another week or two but expect another post asking how to operate a gas kiln :) I don't even know what cone it is - eek.. Well no matter, the important thing is that I have a kiln - YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#26 Cass

Cass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:55 AM

there you go...congrats

#27 porcelainsculptor

porcelainsculptor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:00 AM

there you go...congrats

#28 Cass

Cass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:05 AM

i'll mention...that in this scenario there is very often alot of other studio related materials there as well, glazes, tools, bats, SHELVES and FURNITURE (expensive)..might be worth your while to go for the pickup, or at least ask...

#29 porcelainsculptor

porcelainsculptor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:32 AM

i'll mention...that in this scenario there is very often alot of other studio related materials there as well, glazes, tools, bats, SHELVES and FURNITURE (expensive)..might be worth your while to go for the pickup, or at least ask...

True, my friend said there were a bunch of ceramic pieces that went with it, I'm assuming they were shelves. Not sure I can be there for the pick up but I'll see if I can get him to check for other stuff when he picks it up.

#30 Cass

Cass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

3' high kiln? theres some shelves and furniture there somewhere....wild guess/logic, lol...the seller might not even realise or know, but..

#31 Cass

Cass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

3' high kiln? theres some shelves and furniture there somewhere....wild guess/logic, lol...the seller might not even realize or know, but..

#32 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 2,444 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:01 PM

Congratulations. And yes, you'll find help here for getting things working.

best,

..........................john
John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users