• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pistange

pistange

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:43 PM

Learning to make olive oil cruets and would love some guidance on purchasings the stainless steel spouts with flip tops. Are these the same as the liquor tops for bottles and are some better than others (need dishwasher friendly)? Thank you for your help!

#2 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,132 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:15 AM

I have seen some sources, but they are for huge quantities. For smaller quantities, there are some available on eBay.
Marcia

#3 DallasGypsy

DallasGypsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:35 AM

Take a look at onedreamdesign.com ... http://www.onedreamd...b86635510ad2a6c

Not sure if this is what you had in mind but it might work.

#4 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:21 AM

Aftosa

They all work. I have heard that with the cork, plastic fittings you should leave the pot unglazed where the spout fits so that it has a better grip.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Kilns Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#5 pistange

pistange

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

Thank you for your help!

Found a spout (just to give it a test drive) at Bed Bath and Beyond which has the stainless steel spout and rubber fittings (not cork). Not so wild about it, but it will do for my first go around. Now the issue is the best way to measure the neck while throwing to make sure the spout fits after firing. Any tips welcome and thanks again for your help!

#6 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:36 PM

The best way is to know your clay body shrinkage which you can find from the manufacture or better still is make a shrinkage bar yourself.
Heres how -
cut a 6 inch x 1 1/2 inch x1/4 inch thick piece from a pug do not stretch or handle this much. With a metric ruler mark two lines 10 MM apart exactly with a needle tool in the clay.
Bisque fire then measure write this down as its a straight % that is if it shrinks 4 mm its 4% then glaze fire and measure and write both measurements on the bar and you will now have bisque and glaze shrinkage to work with on the bar You should do this with all your clay bodies -my Porcelain shrinks about 11% so I can now measure a lotion top hole and know what it need to be in the wet stage using simple math.
Hope this is clear enough.
Mark
Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#7 ayjay

ayjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK.

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:02 AM

With a metric ruler mark two lines 10 MM apart exactly with a needle tool in the clay.

Bisque fire then measure write this down as its a straight % that is if it shrinks 4 mm its 4% then glaze fire and measure and write both measurements on the
Mark

Shouldn't that be 10 CM apart?

4mm shrinkage on 10mm is 40%

I thought you all still used imperial measurement on that side of the pond.

#8 terraforma

terraforma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:10 PM

Old topic, but still relevant—I've been doing some research to find good, attached-cap olive oil cruet spouts, and here are a few sites with many choices (BTW, they're WAY cheaper by the dozen, so plan on making a few to save money :) )  Search under "pourer" or "pourers"

http://www.culinaryd...com/por-mc.html

www.wasserstrom.com

www.ablekitchen.com

Mickey Fielding
Terraforma Studio
Los Angeles, CA

#9 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:14 PM

http://www.ezpots.com/

#10 terraforma

terraforma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:27 PM

Interesting new option, bciskepottery—the plastic flanges on those stoppers don't look tapered, though; it might be harder to get a good, secure fit with these? Have you used them yourself?

Mickey Fielding
Terraforma Studio
Los Angeles, CA

#11 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:45 PM

Interesting new option, bciskepottery—the plastic flanges on those stoppers don't look tapered, though; it might be harder to get a good, secure fit with these? Have you used them yourself?

No.  I've just ordered kenzan pins from them; I think Mark C. originally identified the source for soap bottle dispensers. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users