Purchasing Olive Oil Cruet Spouts

Thank you for your help!

Found a spout (just to give it a test drive) at Bed Bath and Beyond which has the stainless steel spout and rubber fittings (not cork). Not so wild about it, but it will do for my first go around. Now the issue is the best way to measure the neck while throwing to make sure the spout fits after firing. Any tips welcome and thanks again for your help!

The best way is to know your clay body shrinkage which you can find from the manufacture or better still is make a shrinkage bar yourself.

Heres how -

cut a 6 inch x 1 1/2 inch x1/4 inch thick piece from a pug do not stretch or handle this much. With a metric ruler mark two lines 10 MM apart exactly with a needle tool in the clay.

Bisque fire then measure write this down as its a straight % that is if it shrinks 4 mm its 4% then glaze fire and measure and write both measurements on the bar and you will now have bisque and glaze shrinkage to work with on the bar You should do this with all your clay bodies -my Porcelain shrinks about 11% so I can now measure a lotion top hole and know what it need to be in the wet stage using simple math.

Hope this is clear enough.

Mark

With a metric ruler mark two lines 10 MM apart exactly with a needle tool in the clay.

Bisque fire then measure write this down as its a straight % that is if it shrinks 4 mm its 4% then glaze fire and measure and write both measurements on the

Mark

Shouldn't that be 10 CM apart?

4mm shrinkage on 10mm is 40%

I thought you all still used imperial measurement on that side of the pond.

• 1 year later...

Old topic, but still relevant—I've been doing some research to find good, attached-cap olive oil cruet spouts, and here are a few sites with many choices (BTW, they're WAY cheaper by the dozen, so plan on making a few to save money :) )  Search under "pourer" or "pourers"

http://www.culinarydistrict.com/por-mc.html

www.wasserstrom.com

www.ablekitchen.com

Interesting new option, bciskepottery—the plastic flanges on those stoppers don't look tapered, though; it might be harder to get a good, secure fit with these? Have you used them yourself?

No.  I've just ordered kenzan pins from them; I think Mark C. originally identified the source for soap bottle dispensers. 

Archived