translucent white casting body/slip

Hi all,

Would someone be able to recommend the most translucent, white casting slip for me to use for casting some very thin-walled pieces (something that will end up looking like plastic/paper drinking cups), to be fired to cone 6 oxidation or cone 10 reduction, and commercially available? Is bone china slip an option? I'd like something commercially available wet.

Best,

Armen

Armen,

Likely anything that will vitrify enough to become translucent at cone six will not be able to be fired to cone 10 without slumping or melting--you likely would want two different bodies...

@ cone six laguna makes one called oriental pearl or something, I believe it is translucent--there are about a million and a half cone 10 recipes out there, but you'd have to do some testing to figure out which ones work for you. You'd want to test any commercial product as well, regardless... Linda Arbuckle has a nice hand out with reeves' casting slip recipe, though she notes that it can slump. I'm not personally familiar with any commercially available cone 10 products that are translucent, but they may be out there. I know that standard will mix you a custom batch of slip, but the min. order is 50 gallons (casting slip weighs, on average 30lbs per 2 gallons, so you're looking at a 750lb barrel.) Alligator clay will mix custom batches of slip for you as well, but the minimum order is 25 gallons with them. You should also consider your location if you're buying wet as you'll be paying a lot of money to ship all that water. Laguna's bodies are available dry, and they provide information on mixing and defloculation. I know that alligator clay will weigh out any recipe you want for the cost of the materials + a weigh out fee that varies with quantity.

Hope this helps, maybe someone else out there can shed light on a commercial cone 10 product.

Armen,

Likely anything that will vitrify enough to become translucent at cone six will not be able to be fired to cone 10 without slumping or melting--you likely would want two different bodies...

@ cone six laguna makes one called oriental pearl or something, I believe it is translucent--there are about a million and a half cone 10 recipes out there, but you'd have to do some testing to figure out which ones work for you. You'd want to test any commercial product as well, regardless... Linda Arbuckle has a nice hand out with reeves' casting slip recipe, though she notes that it can slump. I'm not personally familiar with any commercially available cone 10 products that are translucent, but they may be out there. I know that standard will mix you a custom batch of slip, but the min. order is 50 gallons (casting slip weighs, on average 30lbs per 2 gallons, so you're looking at a 750lb barrel.) Alligator clay will mix custom batches of slip for you as well, but the minimum order is 25 gallons with them. You should also consider your location if you're buying wet as you'll be paying a lot of money to ship all that water. Laguna's bodies are available dry, and they provide information on mixing and defloculation. I know that alligator clay will weigh out any recipe you want for the cost of the materials + a weigh out fee that varies with quantity.

Hope this helps, maybe someone else out there can shed light on a commercial cone 10 product.

I just reread what I wrote and see that it's confusing. I didn't mean that I need a body that works at both cone 6 and 10, but rather than I would be happy with a cone 10 or a cone 6 body. It seems, from the above, that cone 6 wihte translucent porcelain is going to be the easiest. I'll look into laguna's oriental pearl. Has anyone had experience with it?

Archived