Reasonable Expectations for a Slab Roller

I have no experience with a slab roller, but I've just set up my new Bailey DDRII 30" slab roller. I built the table exactly as Bailey suggested, with 16" on the input side, and 5 feet on the output side, where the long table's angled edge faces into the roller, about an inch or so above the input table. I covered the tabletop with formica so there would be no resistance as the wheels pulled the canvas through.

I cut my 25-lb block of clay into two pieces, cut them on a slant, and tried to feed them into the roller, which was set to 1/2". No go. I then cut those slabs thinner and tried to feed them in, but they came out looking like a roller coaster instead of the flat sheet I expected. By the time I cut the clay thin enough for the rollers to accept it, I needed a 30" input table to hold the ever-lengthening input clay slab!

So, what I am wondering is this: what is a reasonable thickness of clay to expect a slab roller to accept if you want to end up with a smooth, 1/2" thick slab? Clearly, I waaay overestimated the slab roller's flattening power.Oh, and by the way, is the loud ratcheting sound as I turn the gear-reduction wheel what I should expect to hear? I don't mind the sound; I just want to know that it doesn't mean something is wrong!

Guest JBaymore
.Oh, and by the way, is the loud ratcheting sound as I turn the gear-reduction wheel what I should expect to hear? I don't mind the sound; I just want to know that it doesn't mean something is wrong!

Hum......... this is the sound that I associate with turning the drive the "wrong way" on my slab roller if I try to back out a partially rolled slab.......... it is the chain drive slipping on the gear sprockets because the tensioner is not designed for rotation that way. It is not a Bailey... so this may be a wild goose chase....... but........ Is there any possibility that you mounted the drive system the wrong way on the table bed and you are actually trying to feed the clay into the roller system "backwards"?

best,

.....................john

The two videos I watched on your model showed a 2" high block of clay being rolled out to about 3/8 to 1/2 inch.

This might be the noise issue.

Now standard on all gear-reduced models! The Reverse-Threaded Handle Adapter

Extra Protection for Schools, group studios and Workshops

The DRD/II 30" and 24"-G models are designed for one way travel only during slab compression. The machine has a ratchet to prevent reverse rotation of the rollers. The standard Reverse-Threaded Handle Adapter prevents any mechanical damage due to abuse from students who might apply unreasonable force by turning the handle the wrong direction until they break the ratchet or gear. The Reverse-Threaded Adapter has reverse threads that will simply unscrew the handle instead of breaking the ratchet mechanism should a student forcefully turn the wheel the wrong direction. This adapter is now standard on all DRD/II 30 and 24G models. (Please note: the Reverse-Threaded Adapter is not available in the DRD/II 24 Direct Drive model.)

I have the Bailey electric 30 inch model-I cut a pug of clay long ways at a 45 (wedged shape) and feed it in at less than 1/2 inch thick no worries. You never adjust thickness while rolling ( do that 1st) and only roll one way. Make sure the chain drive is set up right (my model had it in reverse I found after a phone call to Jim Bailey)

Call them if you are not sure-It should be very quite no loud noises. Also is your clay rock hard??we roll a lot of 1/4 to 5/16th stuff. I have the same table setup as yours. Sound like the chain drive is set up wrong.

Mark

25 lbs in two pieces is pushing it. I cut into three wedges, with lead edge 1"-2" high, back end is then about 3"-4". This is no problem for the DRD 30" set at 3/8". Mine is 20 years old, so I don't know about no new fangled ratchet.biggrin.gif

Note 1: if you pause during roll thru there will be a mark in the slab.

Note 2: I have the wheel, and due to a shoulder injury I no longer play ship's captain, facing the table, but use the hand over hand tug 'o war stance, parallel to the table.wink.gif

I usually cut a 2" thick slab off the block of clay and try to angle it so on end is thinner, my Bailey is 15 years old so it doesn't have the new gears but it does make that sound if I back it up. I would call Bailey before I used it any more, you will develop a method for loading the clay after you have used it for a while. My husband built my table for the slab roller and I have a 6' output section. I have rolled some slabs longer than that, I put another table the same height butting up to it to handle the extra length and that worked well. Denice

I'm not familar with the Bailey, but are the height of the rollers adjustable? If so start with them higher and adjust them down with each pass. if your hearing a ratcheting in the gears their skipping and you'll tear them up.

Bob

Thank you all for your input. My slab roller does have the reverse-threaded handle adapter, so maybe that is the reason for the ratcheting sound. I'll email Bailey and ask them if that noise indicates slipping or if it is appropriate with the reverse-threaded adapter. I did pause while rolling the slab through since it wasn't going well, so that must be the reason for the roller-coaster surface! I was using very soft terra cotta clay, so the clay shouldn't be the issue. John, I don't think there is any chance that I'm putting the clay through backwards, given the reverse-threaded handle, but ?? it wouldn't be the dumbest thing I've ever done! And Bob, your advice is sensible, but with the 16" input table, I'm afraid that I would need four hands, both feet and a lot more dexterity than I currently possess to continuously feed slabs only slightly thicker than the desired result into the roller without pausing! My computer wouldn't play the video that Mark watched, but I'll be surprised if this roller can reduce a 2" thick slab to 1/2" -- but I'll give it another try after checking with Bailey. Thank you all again. The last thing I need at the moment is to tear up an $800 slab roller! thanks, Jayne

Archived