Your Web Presence

When I read posts online I always look to see the websites, and blogsites, I usually use search engine. I am looking for images of the work. Maybe also resume. Posting a short C.V. and a few pics is so easy, and especially in the era of google getting into the search engines. So if someone hasn't done the easy things, it undermines the credibility of the more difficult achievements. The web is infamous for producing "virtual potters" - and if you have an MFA I better be WOWED!! My small studio has been operating since 1988 - I just make a few nice pots the old fashioned way, and if I offer you any advice I will try to keep it real and what works for me.

It's not just a phenomenon of the web; the commercialization of clay makes it so that people who don't actually work in clay themselves often pose as experts. You'll see a whole roomful of these people at NCECA, and they all "know it all", except they just can't do it themselves. But all you need to do is fork over enough cash and you'll become an instant success. All I can tell you is buyer beware. Learning the ins and outs of the major techniques in clay isn't an easy feat, most of these kind of people don't know the ropes.

h a n s e n

Interesting..I am fresh out of college and have only had the help and advice of serious experts for the last 5 years..I am now attempting to set up my own studio here in the US..I'm trying to resist not dropping them an email to ask questions..the amount I do not know could be put in a book the size of a phone directorylaugh.gif But I know the very, very basics to get myself started and expect to mess up incredibly along the way whilst learning ;)

Laragh: Well you picked a great location with deep roots in clay. The Carolinas are the epicenter of pottery industry for many centuries. There are plenty of potters down there.

h a n s e n

Interesting..I am fresh out of college and have only had the help and advice of serious experts for the last 5 years..I am now attempting to set up my own studio here in the US..I'm trying to resist not dropping them an email to ask questions..the amount I do not know could be put in a book the size of a phone directorylaugh.gif But I know the very, very basics to get myself started and expect to mess up incredibly along the way whilst learning ;)

Archived