Are you seeing a lot of "Extended Deadline" notifications?

Guest JBaymore

Guest JBaymore

I keep getting an amazing number of "extended deadline" notifications for exhibitions and art/craft events in the past few weeks. Is anyone else noticing this trend also? That has to mean that applications are running well behind expectations for many, many venues. Interesting trend. Are we seeing a "contraction" of the field as the economy has an impact? Hummmmmm...........

best,

.................john

I wouldn't be surprised. I've been reading reviews on a few big shows and there have been statements about people dropping out of the show circuit and the shows getting smaller overall for the past few years. But people are also saying that this year seems a bit better in terms of buyers and for wholesale accounts.

In my opinion, the shows are going to have to do something to encourage buyers from the younger age groups to start attending the shows, otherwise it'll become untenable in the long run.

interesting...the show I was just about to apply for extended entry deadline from April 4 to Sept 20! thats a pretty big jump. I've been out of the circuit for 4 years and I dont remember a 'good' show having a 1 hour extension

well at least it shouldn't be very hard to get in! and if it's not well attended i will still get a nice showcation in Seattle

I THINK SOME promoters are having trouble filling shows now. We as older artists get picky and do not do as many as before. It doe not take much for me to throw in the towel. A bad location-next to music or food lines and I;m out. I ask for what I need and expect to get it if not its the highway.

We few makers of things are getting to be less in the mix of shows and stand out more. Importers are getting in more as value added makers. If I know I have a bad spot I will not drive two days one way for that spot anymore.Not that hungry anymore.

Mark

good to know....i peaked at about 12 shows a year, then down to 3 or 4, then was actually relieved to have zero for a few years, it can be very disconcerting to have a few bad shows, not to mention financially painful

i went to a local show over the summer, one that we had done for 5 years (and done very well at) and was very happy to see a few old friends hanging in there, but...the standard for entry had dropped noticably, and i was pretty shocked to see some of the mass-produced stuff they were letting into this formerly all handmade show, ouch

I've noticed that these extended deadlines are more common. Especially with shows that are more upscale (i.e. expensive) and those that are very large. I think there are fewer artists applying for these shows after the recession. I've also notied there are shows that establish two deadlines from the get go, with the "late" deadline incurring an extra $50 application fee, just to make a few more dollars from the procrastinators :-)

Mea

I THINK SOME promoters are having trouble filling shows now. We as older artists get picky and do not do as many as before. It does not take much for me to throw in the towel. A bad location-next to music or food lines and I;m out. I ask for what I need and expect to get it if not its the highway.

We few makers of things are getting to be less in the mix of shows and stand out more. Importers are getting in more as value added makers.Embellished items seem to sneak in more to. If I know I have a bad spot I will not drive two days one way for that spot anymore.Not that hungry anymore.

Mark

not sure what happened on this edit-seems a double post now

Guest JBaymore

The reason I borught the subject up here in the forums is that in my 40+ year history I've never seen this happening to this magnitude. Yes........ the occasional exhibition of "craft show" would do this. Crap happens, of course. But I think I am seeing a potential "pattern" happening now. And it is only in the past 6 or less months or so.

best,

.......................john

Archived