Castable Kiln

I am a very amatuer potter, but I am lucky to have space available to build a castable kiln. I want to spend minimal money as this will be exclusively for my own enjoyment. I'd like to high-fire stoneware, but I'd also like to do salt glazed.

So, if I want to have two kilns, one stepped up from the other, and I want to have each one no more than 36" deep and 36" high stackable space with a cantenary arch, what are the best burners for me to buy and do I have to have expensive blowers for them? Are there sources to buy these burners used?

This is probably a silly post, but honestly, I can't hardly make heads nor tails out of the books I've seen on the subject. And, probably another silly question, any guesses on my costs on this if I get the concrete free?

Thanks and hope my ignorance is not all too obvious!

Hi Mudding,

I built a castable kiln (using homemade castable, not industrial castable) a few years ago. It worked great, however I can't say it saved any money in the end. I would say going with brick is a lot better solution. I detailed everything on my blog for you to read, see etc. from the building to when I tore it down (to build a wood kiln from brick).

http://blog.mudstuffing.com/?page_id=623

The page above has other resources, but if you scroll down, you can see all the posts related to building "Jack Doherty’s Soda Kiln from Tudball’s book “Soda Glazingâ€"

Good luck!

Keith

Sounds like a very ambitions project, especially on a budget.

There's a huge learning curve that comes with jumping strait into building high fire kilns.

Reading and rereading any and all kiln books you can get your hands on are the first priority.

In the meantime... an alternative could be building a small raku kiln. Tons of fun and easy to manage on a budget.

Mudstuffing and Zygote,

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate it. I'm absorbing your advice and am thankful for the Ward Burner information. I'll contact them when I've got my plans firmed up so that I'll have an idea of the cubic footage.

I've done some raku, Zygote, and have enjoyed it. It's just my preference is to high fire. Meanwhile, I'll keep struggling with the books!

Many thanks!

I've been in the metals casting business for some time and there are castable refractories available that I have used to make pot melters for metals: they work great and cast easily. The nice thing about castable refractories is that youc can use almost any container to have walls that high fire with no problems. Good luck

• 2 years later...

You need to figure the cubic ft. of the kiln. I used to have a formula for a Cat. Arch and the volume of a kiln.

Then you need to know the insulating quality of the refractory material.

I think it was in an old kiln book by Paul Soldner that the estimate for cubic ft. was 114,000 BTU/s for insulating fire brick and

300,000 BTUs/cubic ft. for hard fire brick. It would be less for ceramic fiber and if sprayed with UTC it would be less yet.

The more you insulate the less gas you need to a certain extent. Then you'll need to know the fuel...LP, Natural gas. different size orifices.

So getting the right burners has much to do with all of the above.

Also, in designing your stack, add height for high Altitudes. I think Bernard Leach mentions that in his Potters Book.

Talk to Mark Ward as someone suggested. He will be very helpful.

Marcia

Decades ago, I built two Bendel (after Don Bendel from Flagstaff) propane burners using squirrel cage blowers from Grainger's, black pipe, bell reducers, 2" x 12" pipe, etc. with capped black pipe inserted through the 12" pipe with orifices drilled into it.

Mark Ward's burners will pass safety inspections compared to home-made burners/

Marcia

Archived