Water feature with raku glazes?

Hi all

I know raku glazes are not fired hot enough to make clay non porous; or better said the clay after firing is still porous.

I want to make a water fountain and I love the metallic results that various raku glazes/firing work; can I go ahead and fire my raku pieces for a fountain and use like a polyurethane coating to make it water resistant?

Any ideas appreciated... Thank you

Charlene

Hi all

I know raku glazes are not fired hot enough to make clay non porous; or better said the clay after firing is still porous.

I want to make a water fountain and I love the metallic results that various raku glazes/firing work; can I go ahead and fire my raku pieces for a fountain and use like a polyurethane coating to make it water resistant?

Any ideas appreciated... Thank you

Charlene

I make bonsai pots. We need a fully vitrified pot...so I learned from a german potter who fires to stoneware temps then raku, that it is possible and good results can happen...expect losses...lol

http://www.hhpots.com/Rakupot.html

I would not expect the metallics to last very long outdoors in the sunshine ... even the waterproof coating has to outlast the sun, water and weather. You might get a result to last a year maybe? Worth it if it's gorgeous and you don't mind re building it.

Actually, I was just going to maybe try to make some small indoor ones; decorative and small water feature for desktop or table top....we used to have something made out of planters that was indoor, and I loved it....so was just thinking...thanks all

Charlene

Archived