My 39th year at a show

Next weekend I'm doing a show I have done for 39 years. Not sure how I feel about this other than to say wow.

I was just a collage kid when I started at this show-Its a juried show no imports-a bit of an old hippie feel to it.

Its my 2nd best local show of 3 during the year. Its a two day show 10 minutes away and I should add that I'm vice pres on the board for many years now. I now know all sides of a show from this work.

Its like a old well fitting shirt thats comfortable to wear now after all these years.

Shows are hard work and my 39th year of it means I have done something right-last man standing or something like that. No other vendors have this history at the show now-but a few on the board are the original starters just not selling art anymore.

Mark

WOW,just WOW! You have my respect, man.

Any thoughts on the way your work has changed directions over this span of time?

Oh my god has it changed-I was a kid who thought I knew how to throw then-it has changed about as much as 360 degrees-from clays to glazes to forms.

I only made big pots back then and a mug was huge for beer. The funny part is folks around here still have some of that early work. Most was stoneware cone 10 and it does chip easy compared to porcelain so much is long gone.

Mark

it would be an interesting review to hear how things have changed over the years. I did Rhinebeck back in 1974 before getting a teaching job in 1975. it was a different tiMe. You have a great "controlled subject" having been at the same show over that period of time.

How has the venue changed, the participants, the quality of work, the crowds and their growing knowledge of the work?

es, I think you could write something really interesting...maybe even for something like Ceramics Minthly. You have a great perspective.

Marcia

En route to Brussels

Wow 39 years is amazing! Next weekend I'm heading for my longest tenured show ... my 12th year. This is the first "real" art festival whose jury let me in. I remember driving home afterwards thinking "I can do this!" I hope I make it to year 39!

Mea

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a week since show and all went smooth for the fair (I'm a board member)-

As far as the economics-this 39th was my second best ever for this show. There where more potters than usual (9-10). The weather was cool and foggy 1st day sunny on Sunday.

It was great getting feed back from customers who had bought my pots over 30 years ago.

Next year the fait turns 40 and for me it will be my 40th show there.

Now its getting ready for a show out of state then back to San Francisco area for Pumpkin Festival show in Half Moon Bay.

Kilns are both cooling now.

Mark

post-8914-134841749657_thumb.jpg

post-8914-134841749744_thumb.jpg

post-8914-134841749657_thumb.jpg

post-8914-134841749744_thumb.jpg

Archived