• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rainyday

Rainyday

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:14 PM

Hi all, I am new here as you can see. Part time I buy and sell vintage and antique collectables. I was out treasure hunting today and came across this ceramic shoe, I thought it was cool so I picked it up. Ceramics are a little outside my realm so I have two questions, First it is unmarked so I was wondering if anyone recognizes the maker and Two what would be a fare price to resell it at? The shoe measues about 10inches long x about 4inches tall. Thanks in advance, and sorry of this is the wrong section of the forum to post this question.

Attached Files

#2 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:15 AM

To me it looks like a school project-I have seen many ceramic shoes come out of schools as art programs have shifted to ceramic art vs functional wares.
This is an item I feel that appeals only to the right person and for value its in the eye of the beholder.
Mark
Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#3 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:26 AM

Rainyday;
No offense, but there is no value here. Marc is being kind. This was an amateur art project. Glaze has run-applied too thick, or piece was overfired.
Sorry about that.
TJR.

#4 Rebel_Rocker

Rebel_Rocker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:49 PM

I like it, bowling shoe details, the dripping looks like oil which could be a statement about how many products these days are made from petroleum and the ugly goopy mess that really is.

Guess art is in the eye of the beholder. Honestly I think most of Warhol's stuff is pretty crappy, but what do I know :D

#5 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:06 AM

Oddly, I like it too ... Maybe use it as a doorstop ... Would not pay more than $5 for it though.

Chris Campbell
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
www.ccpottery.com

TRY ...   FAIL ...  LEARN ...  REPEAT

#6 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

Rainyday, It's not over-fired and the glaze runs look good. I'm not crazy about it but like it. I don't know what it is worth but it is certainly worth more than most functional crap produced by production potters.

Jim
E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users